Carnival of Personal Finance – Week 11

By JLP | August 28, 2005

Hi and welcome to the ALL NEW AllThingsFinancial for Week 11 of the Carnival of Personal Finance. It is hard to believe that we are already in Week 11 of the Carnival. AllThingsFinancial last hosted the Carnival on Week 3.

So, let’s get started with this week’s Carnival of Personal Finance:

Gas Prices and Cars

Gas prices are the topic of the week. With gas prices as high as they are, people are starting to talk about fuel efficiency. OL at Optimized Investing takes an in depth look at The Fuel Economy of the 2004 Honda Civic LX – Automatic.

Hybrids are also a hot topic these days. Ironman at Political Calculations goes a step further than I did when I looked at hybrids by allowing readers to use an interactive calculator in his post Comparing Standard and Hybrid Cars.

Sarah at Frugal Underground summarizes and links to several recent articles about gas prices in her post How to cut your fuel costs. Finally, Nickel at FiveCentNickel asks a simple question: How High do Gas Prices Have to go?

While we are on the topic of cars, Jim at Blueprint for Financial Prosperity recently turned 25 (Happy Birthday, Jim) and as a result he went car insurance shopping to see if he could get his rates reduced because of his new, more mature age. You can read about his experience in his post Car Insurance – Milestone at Age 25.

The Organized Life

Ever lost an important financial document? I know I have! Financial Fruition at the Financial Fruition blog looks at Important Financial Documents that we should all be able to find. It’s good advice.

The Disciplined Life

Goal-setting has everything to do with personal finance. If we don’t know how to set goals and prioritize our lives, it’s likely that we aren’t getting the most out of our finances. Steve Pavlina has written an excellent post about End Goals vs. Means Goals, which is a must read. If you have never read Steve’s stuff, you’re in for a treat.

Economics

There’s been lots of talk about the United States’ trade deficit. Jose at Money & Investing offers a simple way that we could help the country get out of debt with Stop Buying Trinkets. In another economic-related post, Ben at the HousingBubble asks Will Oil Prices Burst the Housing Bubble?

Budgeting

I have to admit that budgeting is not my favorite thing in the world. That’s why I’m glad that there are people like Jonathan at My Money Blog, who shares how he is Refining His Current Budgeting Process. The Mighty Bargain Hunter shows you how to Take Care of Your Teeth and Your Wallet. Frank at HelloDollar summarizes his Budgeting Series, which is a series of posts about personal budgeting.

One way to “save” money is to sell your old stuff online. Flexo offers advice on Selling Used Books and Other Items on Amazon. Amazon is quickly becoming serious competition for eBay.

Financial Planning Basics

Lots of talk these days about the impact that Baby Boomers are going to have on the economy once they begin retiring. H.G. at InsureBlog finishes up a two-part series called Life’s a Beach on the impact of aging. I read the article. He raises some questions that need answers.

One of my favorite blogs for investing-related insight is The Real Returns. Recently, RR focused in on Focus Funds. It’s a good read. While we are on the topic of investing, be sure and Searchlight Crusade’s post on Getting Rich Quick in Real Estate (no, it’s not what you think it is).

Ever heard of an individual 401(k)? Caitlin at Clutter2Cash writes about how she had a pleasant experience when Opening an Individual 401(k). I have a hunch that individual 401(k)s are the wave of the future.

Wise Use of Debt

One of the biggest purchases (and debts) most people will ever make is the purchase of a house. Dawn, the “Frugal Queen” at FrugalforLife offers some great Tips for Buying Your First Home. A second major expense for most people is a college education. Most college graduates have a mountain of debt upon graduation. They need to read Investy’s post on Consolidating Student Loans. While we are on the topic of debt, Free Money Finance has written a post called You Can Beat Debt that highlights an MSN Money article.

Wow! That’s a lot of stuff! I hope you folks enjoy this week’s carnival. If I left anyone out, I’m sorry. Next week’s carnvial will be hosted by new bride (as of Saturday), SavvySaver. Now would be a good time to start sending her your submissions.

Topics: Carnival of Personal Finance | 32 Comments »

32 Responses to “Carnival of Personal Finance – Week 11”

1. Blog Carnival Says:
    August 29th, 2005 at 12:17 am

Carnival of Personal Finance – Week 11

CARNIVAL OF PERSONAL FINANCE is now up at AllThingsFinancial!

2. mbhunter Says:
    August 29th, 2005 at 4:57 am

Hi JLP –

Love your new blog setup!

Do you want us to change our links to your new blog?

3. Consumerism Commentary Says:
    August 29th, 2005 at 5:06 am

Carnival #11

The latest Carnival of Personal Finance has been published at the new location for AllThingsFinancial. My post about selling books online has been featured this week….

4. MightyBargainHunter.com » Carnival of Personal Finance #11 is up! Says:
    August 29th, 2005 at 5:17 am

[...] The Carnival of Personal Finance #11 is up at the new and improved AllThingsFinancial! JLP categorized the posts a bit this week, so it’s easy to find special areas of interest at this one. [...]

5. Flexo Says:
    August 29th, 2005 at 5:18 am

Thanks for hosting this week!

6. Financial Fruition Says:
    August 29th, 2005 at 5:29 am

JLP, Thanks for putting this week’s carnival together!! Looks like you’ve got the new site under control!!!

Financial Fruition

7. The Unknown Professor Says:
    August 29th, 2005 at 6:13 am

JLP:

Nice job on the Carnival. The new blog looks good (but where are the trackbacks?)

8. jim Says:
    August 29th, 2005 at 7:01 am

JLP,
    Good job on the carnival and thanks for the happy birthday remarks :)

jim

August 29th, 2005 at 7:58 am

Jim,

I remember reading that and thinking “Dang! I turned 25 nearly 11 years ago!”

10. Business Opportunities Weblog | Carnival of Personal Finance #11 Says:
    August 29th, 2005 at 9:47 am

[...] Finance is up at AllThingsFinancial. Posted by Dane on August 29, 2005 | 0 Comments In Posts Email This Post Possibly Related Entries Carnival of Personal FinanceCarnival of Personal Finance#9Carnival of Personal Finance #10Carnival of Personal FinanceCarnival of Personal FinanceCarnival of Personal Finance #8Carnival of Personal FinanceCarnival of the CapitalistsCarnival of the CapitalistsCarnival of the Capitalists Comments [...]

11. ~Dawn Says:
    August 29th, 2005 at 10:03 am

Thanks JLP I appreciate your hard work. Posted my link already to ya as well.
    Great site design!

12. Wealthy Web » Do You Know Where Your Financial Documents Are? Says:
    August 29th, 2005 at 10:05 am

[...] This week’s Carnival of Personal Finance is up at All Things Financial and as usual I am impressed with the amount of good information that was contributed. Something I needed to hear was the importance of organizing financial documents. [...]

13. Frank Says:
    August 29th, 2005 at 11:49 am

I’m really liking the new look too. Nice job! And a good carnival, too (though it looks like my budgeting post didn’t make it in.. I’d thought I got it in on time? Oh well, lots of good posts anyway!)

14. TheDividendGuy Says:
    August 29th, 2005 at 1:42 pm

I like the new format…loads quicker. Good luck going forward.

15. jim Says:
    August 29th, 2005 at 2:23 pm

jlp, when i read your comment, i realized i’ll be your age in 11 years and that scared me. :) just kidding bud

16. mmb Says:
    August 29th, 2005 at 3:54 pm

Love the new look! Very professional.

17. » Carnival of Personal Finance #11 Highlights by Blueprint for Financial Prosperity Says:
    August 29th, 2005 at 6:37 pm

[...] JLP at AllThingsFinancial has published the 11th edition and it weighs in at almost twenty submissions. Predictably, top billing goes towards the recent skyrocketing gasoline/oil prices but there are some good articles on popular personal finance topics such as budgeting, debt management, and financial planning. Here are the ones that piqued my interest: [...]

18. Searchlight Crusade Says:
    August 29th, 2005 at 7:06 pm

Links and Minifeatures 08 29 Monday

Carnival of Capitalists is up at Casey Software. Recomended reading (in the same order they appear in the Carnival):

19. Consumerism Commentary Says:
    August 29th, 2005 at 7:17 pm

Carnival of Personal Finance Host Schedule

This is the hosting schedule for the Carnival of Personal Finance. DateHostLink to Carnival Monday, June 20, 2005Consumerism CommentaryCarnival #1 Monday, June 27, 2005Blueprint for Financial ProsperityCarnival #2 Tueday, July 5, 2005AllThingsFinancial…

20. Financial Carnival Time! - Fat Pitch Financials Says:
    August 29th, 2005 at 9:32 pm

[...] This weeks Carnival of Personal Finance is being hosted by the newly relaunched site of AllThingsFinancial. Fuel economy discussion appear to be all the rage this week. I guess today’s spike in crude oil prices to over $70 a barrel might have something to do with this discussion. I also found an interesting article this week on the individual 401(k), which is a new discover for me. I’ll put this on my to-do list to research further. [...]

21. MyMoneyBlog Says:
    August 30th, 2005 at 12:57 am

Carnival of Personal Finance #11 is up

Carnival of Personal Finance #11 is up. Check it out at AllThingsFinancial’s new blog!…

22. Jonathan@MyMoneyBlog Says:
    August 30th, 2005 at 1:11 am

Thanks for the nice compilation, JLP! It sure looks like a lot of hard work.

23. Entropy Manor » Blog Archive » Says:
    August 30th, 2005 at 6:23 am

[...] The latest Carnival of Personal Finance is up. I particularly liked Searchlight Crusade’s post Getting Rich Quick in Real Estate. [...]

24. IntegrateIT - Weblog of Kyle Welsh. Says:
    September 4th, 2005 at 3:08 pm

Carnival of Personal Finance – Week 11

The Carnival of Personal Finance – Week 11 is up at All Things Financial – as usual – a great job and some great advice. Check it out.

25. Knowledge Management Says:
    March 22nd, 2006 at 5:11 pm

A Big Hello to All ; ) My name’s Betty Floyd Masterson. I’ll say to you now I’m kinda new to Blog stuff! Totally awesome point of view. I hope there’ll be many more interesting topics like this in the future. I will say this is one of the best blog sites I’ve come across.

26. real estate agency brussels Says:
    September 10th, 2006 at 9:36 am

Wheither your looking to rent or buy real estate in brussels, our pro staff will assist you in all your needs. Keep up the good work on this site.

27. download speed up Says:
    December 19th, 2006 at 4:11 pm

Yes, it really helped to download everything faster. Especially big files like movies …

28. Carnival of Personal Finance » Submit an Article to Carnival #96 Says:
    April 12th, 2007 at 7:02 am

[...] AllFinancialMatters has also hosted editions #3, #11, #40, and #59. [...]

29. mp3 music for an ipod nano Says:
    July 2nd, 2007 at 4:43 am

Nice blog. Saw your url in search and great find. Appreciate comment ..

30. » Carnival of Personal Finance #11 Highlights on Blueprint for Financial Prosperity Says:
    July 20th, 2008 at 1:07 pm

[...] at AllThingsFinancial has published the 11th edition and it weighs in at almost twenty submissions. Predictably, top billing goes towards the recent [...]

31. Lauren Stewart Says:
    May 26th, 2010 at 2:05 am

i am into Business and Financing. it is really very interesting how to make money both online and offline.,’”

32. Austin Says:
    August 25th, 2010 at 1:00 pm

I have no doubts that frugalforlife has the information for people who want to control their debt problems. Useful information you have compiled here.

Comments