NASCAR – I Don’t Get it!

By JLP | August 30, 2005

The latest issue of Fortune has a cover story about NASCAR. According to the article (subscription required), NASCAR’s fan base has grown 24.6% from 1997 – 2004, while all the other major sports have lost fans. Call me crazy, but I don’t see what all the fuss is about. I think NASCAR is boring. My kids love it, my sister-in-law and her husband love it. I just can’t get into it.

What am I missing?

Topics: Cars | 7 Comments »

7 Responses to “NASCAR – I Don’t Get it!”

1. Financial Fruition Says:
    August 30th, 2005 at 12:17 pm

I don’t really know what to say. It’s a very wierd phenomenon. What I really don’t get is all the fans eagerly wearing the shirts and jackets full of their favorite drivers advertisements.

2. thc Says:
    August 30th, 2005 at 7:32 pm

I’m not a fan either and can’t explain the fascination with it. But I can understand how people can be fed up with the outrageous salaries and poor behavior of basketball, football and baseball players.

BTW: I like the new look and have updated your URL on my blogroll.

3. Cap Says:
    August 30th, 2005 at 7:35 pm

same here!

its sooo boring. take indy 500 for example, its very similiar in the sense of going around for hours.. but that’s more appealing to me. (still boring though!)

I can watch the first and last minute of these race.

so weird.

4. jim Says:
    August 31st, 2005 at 6:33 am

The fans love it because they identify better with a NASCAR driver than with any other sports figures out there. And when you identify with someone, you care, and when you care a little about someone driving a fiberglass car ridiculous speeds inches away from other riberglass cars driving ridiculous speeds, it gets exciting.

Disclaimer: I am not a NASCAR fan but I do want to go to a race because I hear they’re incredible, I drove by one of the raceways once and the thing is gargantuan.

5. Financial Fruition Says:
    August 31st, 2005 at 9:55 am

Well I asked a NASCAR fan at work, why they love it so much and he outlined a some points:

1) NASCAR drivers are still approachable. They are not stuck up, like other professional athletes. You can still go to a race and if you a see a driver, you can say “hi” to them, etc.
    2) These drivers also can be looked up to by kids. Most parents don’t like to hear about their child’s favorite star being a jerk or getting into trouble with the law (i.e. Kobe Bryant). However, do you ever hear about drivers in the news like this?
    3) Drivers still drive because the fans are there. Most pro athletes think the fans are there for themselves, not because they are fans of what they do. NASCAR drivers still realize that the only reason they are in that position is because of the fans.
    4) NASCAR is one of the only true competitive sports left. All of the cars have to follow the same rules and are inspected pre and post race. His reference was look at the Steriods controversy in baseball.
    5) What’s more exciting, a home run, or a wreck at 200 mph?
    6) Do a lot of people play football or basketball still? No, but everyone drives a car!

Once again these were all his comments, I just thought I would share.

6. Big Cajun Man Says:
    August 31st, 2005 at 10:41 am

NASCAR? That’s an interesting question. I am a Formula One die-hard, but I have been catching myself watching more and more NASCAR races? Why? I guess it’s kind of like watching a baseball game:

* Turn on race
    * Go out cut grass
    * Come back, look at accidents so far
    * Go get some groceries
    * Come back, what lap are we on? Make some coffee, read the paper with race on in background
    * etc., etc., etc.,

I like the interviews because these drivers can “shill” for their sponsors better than a lot of salesman I know!

–C8j

7. sam Says:
    September 2nd, 2005 at 4:03 pm

I don’t watch any Nascar, but then I don’t watch sports at all. As far as I’m concerned, watching sports is boooring, and a waste of time. But some of your other commenters are onto something. How many NBA or Major League Baseball players can you look up to? Drugs, steroids, on-court violence, etc. And the ticket prices are outrageous.

Comments