By JLP | March 23, 2006
I was visiting some different personal finance-related blogs tonight (some of the younger blogs) and noticed that some bloggers are looking for tips on how to get traffic and revenue. Here’s my advice:
1. It takes TIME! I have been blogging for nearly a year and half and I’m just now starting to get decent traffic and revenue (although I don’t want to be specific, let’s just say that I qualify to get an Adsense check each month). It is virtually impossible to build a blog and expect it to generate traffic overnight.
2. Blog! By posting to your blog on a regular basis, you give readers a reason to come back. Return visitors = traffic.
3. Link to other blogs. If you are just starting out blogging, don’t email other more experienced bloggers and ask for a “link exchange.” Rather, if you find a blog that you like, link to it. The blogger you have linked to WILL figure it out and will most likely link back eventually.
4. Comment on other blogs. Make sure you leave comments that add to the dialogue. If I detect that a comment is spam, I’ll delete it. If you want to build a blog, it’s best not to spam other bloggers!
5. Visit forums and post comments there. Once again, make sure you are adding to the conversation. Forums do not like spammers.
6. Take part in carnivals. FreeMoneyFinance has used the carnival method a lot more than I have. Submitting your posts to a carnival helps you because the host has to link to you and you have a lot of eyeballs looking at your material. Over time, this can really help build traffic.
There’s other things you can do to also build your blog. I’ll discuss more in a later post. The main thing you need to realize is that it takes time to build a blog so be PATIENT. Good luck.