JLP’s QotD: How Much Do You Spend on Auto Maintenance?

By JLP | June 28, 2006

I just got back from having new tires put on our 2002 Buick Rendezvous. I hate spending money on stuff like this but auto maintenance is a fact of life. I’m just happy that we don’t have to charge these expenses. Anyway, this reminded of a great Question of the Day:

How much do you spend per year on auto maintenance?

Our numbers fluctuate quite a bit because some expenses won’t occur every year. This year has been pretty high for us as we have put brakes and new tires on our Honda as well as a new air conditioner compressor and some other stuff. I think the total would easily be over $3,000, which is nearly an annual car note. With the Rendezvous’ maintenance included, we will easily spend $5,000 this year just to keep our cars maintained.

Topics: Cars, Question of the Day | 7 Comments »

7 Responses to “JLP’s QotD: How Much Do You Spend on Auto Maintenance?”

1. mark Says:
    June 28th, 2006 at 4:12 pm

I have a 97 Honda Civic and so far all I did this year was pay $75 to have it inspected after the airbag light came on. (turns out its the passenger side airbag so I didn’t have them fix it) However, that’s all I can think that I have done in the past 2 years. I highly reccomend Hondas.

2. Foobarista Says:
    June 28th, 2006 at 4:37 pm

We have a newer Honda and an older Toyota: so far this year, we spent $600 on the Toyota for its 75K miles service and about $20 on the Honda for an oil change. The last time I changed the tires, it cost about $60 each on the Toyota at Costco.

3. Stacey Says:
    June 28th, 2006 at 6:31 pm

From 1/1/05 thru 6/30/06 $2584 which includes some goofy things: replace 2 handles on my since-traded-in ’98 Sienna’s sliding doors (lots of wear and tear, and perhaps poor design…) and replace my husband’s electronic passenger mirror (apparently, a mailbox attacked him while driving…)

Throw in a transmission flush (163)and a 30K checkup (331) and tires (429)and rear drums on prev. van and it doesn’t take long to get to the $2,584. Without the above, oil changes would have run us $340 for 2 vehicles for the 18-month period. Now with an ’05 Avalon and and ’06 Sienna, it should be smooth sailing with just oil changes and perhaps EOY tires for my husband’s high-mileage Avalon.

4. Mike Says:
    June 29th, 2006 at 7:38 am

So far for the year we’ve spent $75. But we have two new Honda’s so that’s just oil changes (which I do myself) and a state inspection. The total would be much lower if my wife didn’t put 700 miles a week on her new Civic.

5. Leslie Turek Says:
    June 29th, 2006 at 9:39 am

2001 Subaru. Last year $766 ($500 for new tires, also maintenance, exhaust system, battery, and oil change). This year to date $105 for minor stuff, including $50 just to diagnose a Check Engine light). According to the Check Engine light I need a new “knock sensor” for $300, but haven’t had it done yet, as the engine seems to be running fine.

In my experience, modern cars are much less expensive to maintain in terms of their mechanical components, but the electrical and pollution control systems seem to be adding a new expensive layer of complexity.

6. Leslie Turek Says:
    June 29th, 2006 at 9:39 am

7. sam Says:
    June 29th, 2006 at 1:35 pm

My car is under warranty and includes scheduled maintance, so I haven’t paid a dime so far this year. I has been into the dealer twice for recall and warranty issues.

Comments