Stupid Yoplait Commercial

By JLP | October 31, 2006

Have you seen that stupid Yoplait commercial with the two women lounging in a spa, eating yogurt? One of the women says to other about the yogurt, “This is Zen wrapped in Karma, dipped in chocolate…good.”

What the heck does that mean? Everytime I see that commercial it makes me want to hate yogurt.

Topics: Miscellaneous | 17 Comments »

17 Responses to “Stupid Yoplait Commercial”

1. Jeremie Beaudry Says:
    October 31st, 2006 at 2:36 am

Yup, I hate that one. I haven’t stepped foot in Steak & Shake in over nine years because I hate their commercials so much! I refuse to give any money to that marketing team of complete idiots.

2. Foobarista Says:
    October 31st, 2006 at 2:45 am

It’s all about lifestyle. They’re going after the crowd who read Deepak Chopra and other content-free purvayers of profundity. This demographic also drives Priuses – or, if they’re a bit more frugal, old Volvos, live in college towns, are professionals, and have solid incomes.

3. Miguel Says:
    October 31st, 2006 at 7:10 am

Funny, I was just ranting about the Yoplait commercials the other day. I HATE all of them with a passion. They make me want to puke. I like yogurt, but I wouldn’t be caught dead with a container of Yoplait and a spoon in my hands.

October 31st, 2006 at 8:00 am

Foobarista,

That demographic seems awfully small to justify dedicating a national ad campaign to them.

5. Stacey Says:
    October 31st, 2006 at 9:14 am

Are you guys PMS-ing? Lighten up! Maybe you need a yogurt to move things along! :) Just havin’ fun w/you…

Maybe we should talk about that commercial w/the busty, sweaty gals who jackhammer…that one has to be an all-time “favorite” w/women…

So, let the women have their Zen-like spa and yogurt…life’s too short. Just flip the channel!!

6. S/100/30 Says:
    October 31st, 2006 at 9:32 am

Hey, don’t blame this on us highly-educated Volvo drivers with “solid” incomes; we generally dislike mysticism in all it’s forms.

7. S/100/30 Says:
    October 31st, 2006 at 9:32 am

Hey, don’t blame this on us highly-educated Volvo drivers with “solid” incomes; we generally dislike mysticism in all its forms.

8. HC Says:
    October 31st, 2006 at 10:38 am

The bigger issue, to me, is that Westerners (particularly Christians) are generally completely ignorant of Eastern beliefs (in this case Zen Buddhism and Hinduism), and just vaguely lump everything under “increased self-awareness.” (After one class, I still only know a little around the edges.)

Talking about yogurt when the Four Noble Truths are about suffering and the cessation of desire and karma is about the consquences of one’s actions makes NO sense. But some ad agency thought it made it sound like the yogurt would center the general “you”, or something, and so it went in.

9. RSN Says:
    October 31st, 2006 at 10:43 am

How exactly does Zen get wrapped in karma? I mean, why not Kabbalah wrapped in Nirvana?

Yeah, I can’t stand that one either.

10. Foobarista Says:
    October 31st, 2006 at 3:10 pm

Actually, that demographic is fairly large, especially in “blue states” – and are far more likely to buy Yoplait and other luxury brands than lower-cost products.

An interesting discussion of marketing demographics is here.

October 31st, 2006 at 3:23 pm

Foobarista,

I suppose you’re right. I’m not a marketing expert. I suppose there are lots of attorney’s wives in my town (we have LOTS OF ATTORNEYS IN MY TOWN!) who have nothing better to do than pamper themselves and eat yogurt.

12. Schizohedron Says:
    October 31st, 2006 at 10:06 pm

I know the one you’re describing. Two good candidates for a raging car fire.

If I recall correctly, the Caucasian actress was in a BMW ad a couple of years ago, in which she sneaks out of the house after dark, in her jammies, to pretend-drive the car in her driveway, just because she can. Conspicuous consumption aside, when I’m in bed, only the alarm or nuclear war’s getting me up.

Is Yoplait one of those shitty yogurts that also has high-fructose corn syrup and other crap? Feh. Stonyfield Farm’s plain nonfat is the only thing I put in my smoothies.

13. Lucy Says:
    November 14th, 2006 at 12:37 am

Trying to decipher the stupidity of the statement, “it’s like zen wrapped in Karma wrapped in chocolate,” is similar to trying to solve a Koan. But, a koan, hammers the walls of logic in a good way, this, however, hammers the walls of logic in such a way that it incites violence. I’d like to know what idiotic marketing person thought this ridiculous statement would be the best way for these women to describe their yogurt eating experience.

14. ivan Says:
    December 17th, 2006 at 2:41 am

Foobarista, that website… http://www.claritas.com/claritas/Default.jsp?ci=3&si=4&pn=prizmne_segments#groupS1
    is basically a horoscope page. What’s your sign? Brite Lites Li’l City ? Bunch of Krap

15. FatFace Says:
    July 23rd, 2007 at 3:47 pm

Is that like,

“Zoroastrianism wrapped in Judaism, dipped in Christianity good…”???

16. Random Precision. | The Contrarian Says:
    December 19th, 2008 at 8:43 pm

[…] thought I’d be the first to go wide with this one, but evidently other bloggers find it ridiculous, […]

17. Random Precision. | The Contrarian Says:
    December 20th, 2008 at 2:27 pm

[…] thought I’d be the first to go wide with this one, but evidently other bloggers find it ridiculous, too. SHARETHIS.addEntry({ title: “Random Precision.”, url: […]

Comments