How About a $.41 ‘Forever’ Stamp?

By JLP | February 27, 2007

The U.S. Postal Service is kicking around an idea of a $.41 ‘Forever’ postage stamp. Customers who buy this stamp would be able to use it even after future postage-rate increases. I guess it is kind of a hedge for those who mail lots of letters. ‘Forever’ stamps will be sold in limited quantities. Once prices rise, new ‘Forever’ stamps will be introduced at the new price but the old ‘Forever’ stamps will still be honored (hence the name ‘Forever’).

Maybe this is how all postage should be handled?

For more, you can read this article I found in the York Dispatch or the article that was published in today’s WSJ ($). Oh, and here’s the price and inflation history of the First-Class Stamp:

Price History of the First-Class Stamp
Source: AKDart.com

Inflation History of the First-Class Stamp

Topics: Business News, Miscellaneous | 10 Comments »

10 Responses to “How About a $.41 ‘Forever’ Stamp?”

1. Moneymonk Says:
    February 27th, 2007 at 12:19 pm

Yeah I heard about that last night, kinda crazy because most people are paying bills online.

I guess The PO has to make up for the money thay are losing.

2. Gaming The Credit System Says:
    February 27th, 2007 at 1:14 pm

I support the idea. I’m not going to stock up at 41 cents (I simply don’t send enough mail to try to beat inflation on frigging stamps), but at least it will avoid the hassle of the 2-cent and 3-cent stamps. I’ve still got a couple of 37-cent stamps that I haven’t used!

I just wonder if it will backfire on the USPS. Some people are bound to stock up on them, and that will represent lost revenue in the future. Hopefully they can manage the up-front funds well enough that they won’t hit a budget crunch later on.

Of course, really that discussion is mostly moot because such a huge proportion of mail nowadays is bulk mail, metered or pre-paid. Stamps are too costly/time-consuming to use on business correspondence if you send out mail with any kind of volume. Only individuals use stamps, and individuals sending letters is more and more a thing of the past. That won’t change, so this talk of “forever stamps” will mostly be a a goodwill gesture by the USPS to consumers and nothing more than a financial side-note in the long run.

3. Vlad Says:
    February 27th, 2007 at 1:27 pm

Dunno what to make of this. I certainly welcome it–I hate the 1 or 2 cent increases which are just a hassle to deal with. But how do you carry such liability on your books? I suppose it’s not THAT different from gift cards … actually, it is different. With gift cards, retailers can start deducting $$$s after some time to get rid of that liability, which you can’t do with stamps.

4. LAMoneyGuy Says:
    February 27th, 2007 at 3:52 pm

I love this idea. As MoneyMonk noted with all the online activity, I rarely send anything through USPS. However when I do, I always find myself looking at a bunch of stamps that I bought last time I mailed something, wondering “is this still the right amount?” I don’t care if they raise it, as long as I can know that the stuff that I have will still work.

5. philskaren Says:
    February 27th, 2007 at 5:38 pm

I could spend $100 on stamps that would last me almost “forever” :)

6. Andy Says:
    February 27th, 2007 at 5:51 pm

Since the cost increase of stamps hasn’t outpaced inflation, why would you do this? You might as well take your $100 and invest it in TIPS and then buy stamps in the future.

7. tinyhands Says:
    February 28th, 2007 at 10:54 am

From my perspective it would be nice to have stamps that don’t “expire” (requiring 2 & 3 cent addons) but the money savings wouldn’t even amount to a drop in the bucket for the volume of stamped mail I send. I’d continue to buy single booklets as needed for convenience.

But I applaud the USPS for thinking outside the box in what must be an upside-down market for them.

8. philskaren Says:
    March 8th, 2007 at 12:25 pm

the trips to buy them alone would benefit me since i never use stamps or think to buy them on already planned outings.

9. AllFinancialMatters » Blog Archive » Why I’m a Good Candidate for the ‘Forever’ Stamp Says:
    April 23rd, 2007 at 4:30 pm

[...] On May 14th, the price of a stamp will increase to $.41 and I’ll still be using $.37 stamps! If I had been able to purchase $.37 “Forever” stamps (had they existed back then), I wouldn’t have to worry about buying extra stamps to put on my letters. [...]

10. gitasan Says:
    May 2nd, 2008 at 10:12 am

I too have stopped sending mail/bills mostly go online to mail. But a recent visit to the post office was crazy with people buying these stamps like they were stock or something! I will buy some but not in the amouts other folks were buying!

Comments