What’s Your ThriveQ?

By JLP | April 30, 2007

I just spent the last 5 minutes or so reviewing a new tool called ThriveQ that was put together by Thrivent Financial. Truth be told, I’m not really a fan of Thrivent Financial but this is an interesting retirement planning tool. I like the fact that they don’t ask for personal information like your address and phone number so that one of their “people” can call you to set up a consultation. This is purely an effort to build goodwill. Anyway, once you answer all the questions, the calculator gives you a number and then ranks you based on that number. Here’s a few screenshots I took while going through the exercise:

I thought this particular question was humorous:

Screenshot: Thrivent ThriveQ

I scored a 643:

Screenshot: Thrivent ThriveQ Results Screen

They also give you some generic suggestions (none of which I will do):

Screenshot: Thrivent ThriveQ Results Screen

You can take the Quiz yourself over at ThriveQ.com. I urge you to go take it and then report back with your results and we’ll compare notes.

Topics: Retirement Planning | 14 Comments »

14 Responses to “What’s Your ThriveQ?”

1. Miguel Says:
    April 30th, 2007 at 3:59 pm

Scored 680. Hmmm… kinda disappointing. Either I’m in worst shape than I though or that tool is crappy.

April 30th, 2007 at 4:03 pm

Miguel,

Your score makes me feel better!

3. pfodyssey Says:
    April 30th, 2007 at 5:30 pm

Same exact score of 643 – ha! The parts where I mostly disagreed / had not done a lot of planning were on the post-retirement side (what kind of job, how to manage income, etc).

My actions:
    1) Working later in life
    2) Review your insurance
    3) Calculate potential income sources

4. EA Says:
    April 30th, 2007 at 5:52 pm

I got 663. I think I was penalized for not meeting with a pro, for not having long term care insurance, and for not having calculated health care costs in retirement.

While I might agree a little with the long term care one, I think I can handle things without a pro, and I’m 30+ years from retirement…difficult to calculate those costs now.

April 30th, 2007 at 6:00 pm

I don’t understand the long-term care business. It seems to me that it should be based on your age. If you’re in your 30s (like I am), you really don’t need to buy long-term care insurance.

6. Foobarista Says:
    April 30th, 2007 at 7:59 pm

Their interview stuff won’t let you enter numbers in Firefox. Hopefully, they aren’t expecting much business outside of IE users…

7. 20BigOnes Says:
    April 30th, 2007 at 8:09 pm

746. I was hurt by lack of LTC, not calculating health care costs in retirement, and not having a will I assume. But I’m only 27 without dependents so I think I have some time before I need to figure this out.

8. Miguel Says:
    April 30th, 2007 at 8:14 pm

I think I too was hurt by not having LTC insurance. I’m in my 40’s, don’t think now is the time to buy it, and frankly I am counting on being able to fund my own LT care and not needing their outragously expensive policies. Most of my insurance needs are for here and now in case my income is interrrupted – disability and life insurance.

9. Phil Says:
    May 1st, 2007 at 6:26 am

944. Maybe I received extra points because I’m Lutheran. More likely: I’m fortunate in that I make a fair amount of money and invest a good portion of the income. I’m also under the guidance of a financial planner. I don’t have LT care, yet, but do have plenty of insurance; my life insurance is term to the regret of my Thrivent agent : )

BTW, JLP: What’s your beef with Thrivent? I think they are quite a good organization (I’ll admit I’m biased since I see directly the results of their philanthropic actions and know a few Thrivent agents personally)

10. Chris Says:
    May 1st, 2007 at 12:25 pm

226. Yes I know this is low. I 27 and single so I have some time. I have been primarily focused on surprises in my life at this time. I have time and am taking steps to solidify my income. i am self-employed right now and that is adding to the instability.

11. New Girl Says:
    May 1st, 2007 at 1:12 pm

605. Just to make you all feel better : ) I got pounded because I’m 25, and therefore am unwilling to claim that I have exact plans about a lot of my retirement-age attributes. Not only do I not have life/LTC insurance (with no kids I am a-okay with this), but I also don’t have a specific plan for donating to my favorite causes when I’m 65! I applaud those of you who do have these very detailed financial plans (particularly those who are my age and younger), but I don’t actually think I’m in bad shape. My plans are very specific in the short and medium term, and then get fuzzier as I get closer to retirement, since by then I will have changed everything about my life – had kids, changed jobs significantly, graduate degree, bought a house, taken over financial responsibility for a vacation home, etc. I wish that someone out there would make better online retirement tools for people who are in their 20’s.

12. MossysF Says:
    May 1st, 2007 at 1:38 pm

I’m running Linux and only have Flash 7.

13. Amber Says:
    May 1st, 2007 at 2:26 pm

342 – Provider

Actions they suggest I take:
    – Keep an emergency fund (almost have a small one fully funded)
    – Pay off credit cards (working on it, hopefully will be there in three years)
    – Be prepared.

I used Firefox with no problem….

14. slicendice Says:
    May 11th, 2007 at 2:04 pm

New Girl. You are right on about the websites for 20 somethings. But market numbers don’t hold wait. The one thing I liked about this assessment is about taking action right away. It provides articles that are helpful and actually correspond to the category I received. I do beleive this assement is an ebb and flow of your life to always keep in mind retirement. Sometimes with life events this gets harder, but there might be things you might not have considered and could take action. Overall assessement for me is that this assessment was interactive and actionable for me and I will come back and check in when life events happen.

Phil I like your statement (alittle biased), but dead on. Thrivent can compete financially with the “big boys” and also be the type of coporation on the fraternal non-profit that many other corp could learn from. Even though companies are not in the non-profit state they could profit compassionately. Business is Business, but I think corps could look at thrivent and say. We should care also.

Comments