Kitchen Remodel Update – New Cabinets!

By JLP | September 28, 2007

That’s my son’s hand sticking out from behind the plastic and my daughter’s yogurt sitting on the floor. The big hole in the ceiling is where they inserted a huge beam to support the ceiling since they took out a load-bearing wall.

Here’s a before picture of the family room, which is connected to the kitchen:

Although we loved the fireplace, it was too big and took up too much room. It also made it hard to arrange the furniture. So, we decided that since we were in the midst of a remodel that there would never be a better time to take it out. So,… we did!

Taking out the fireplace gave us an additional 6 feet of wall space to work with. On that wall, we will put built-in bookcases with shelving for a nice-sized flat-screen TV. The fireplace will be moved to a spot in between the family room and the kitchen, which will help tie the two rooms together and make for a really nice atmosphere. I’ll post more pictures later.

This is going to end up costing us a lot of money but I think it will be worth it.

Topics: Kitchen Remodel | 10 Comments »

10 Responses to “Kitchen Remodel Update – New Cabinets!”

1. TV » Kitchen Remodel Update - New Cabinets! Says:
    September 28th, 2007 at 11:40 pm

[…] Selena Wong wrote an interesting post today onHere’s a quick excerptOn that wall, we will put built-in bookcases with shelving for a nice-sized flat-screen TV. The fireplace will be moved to a spot in between the family room and the kitchen, which will help tie the two rooms together and make for a … […]

2. Lisa Says:
    September 29th, 2007 at 7:39 am

The DIY shows on TV sure make remodeling look QUICK and EASY. We recently remodeled our kitchen through Home Depot. It certainly was not quick but the result was worth the wait!

3. GeekMan Says:
    September 29th, 2007 at 12:30 pm

It’s looking great! Now, how about some schematics of before and after so we can see the full amount of work you did?

4. The Digerati Life Says:
    October 1st, 2007 at 1:38 am

I enjoy these updates JLP. Keep them coming! I am *very into* home remodeling and home projects. I’m a little bit of a veteran because I cannot help but keep fussing over features of my house even if there’s nothing to really fuss about. By seeing other people’s projects, I take the attention away from my own compulsions over my house. lol. But in a year or two, I’m probably going to trade my carpets for hard wood floors, but we’ll see.

5. Chris Says:
    October 1st, 2007 at 3:37 pm

Looks great so far! There’s a little work left to do, right? :D

October 1st, 2007 at 4:15 pm

Chris,

Yeah, we still have a ways to go! LOL!

I would say another 3-4 weeks, maybe less.

7. FaceMan Says:
    October 8th, 2007 at 3:02 pm

I recently remodeled much of my newly purchased house. My 8 month pregnant wife was the general. We joined Angieslist.com and used the site to find many reliable contractors who did great work. Not to sound xenophobic, but my biggest piece of advice is to use someone who you can communicate with. We ran into problems using an electrician (thru a referral) who we didn’t fully understand mostly because of his poor English. We spent a lot of time trying unsuccessfully to communicate, and in the end had to fire him.

October 8th, 2007 at 3:09 pm

FaceMan,

Yeah, that’s a good point. So far we haven’t had that problem.

9. Nathan Harrison Says:
    October 9th, 2007 at 7:03 pm

JLP,

are the cabinets yet to be stained and finished, or is that just the way the picture makes it look?

10. home depot » Kitchen <b>Remodel</b> Update - New Cabinets! Says:
    October 19th, 2007 at 10:53 pm

[…] I came across this post – Kitchen <b>Remodel</b> Update – New Cabinets! – and thought it was worth sharing. I hope you find it interesting too and take the time to read some of the other articles on their site. Here’s the latest pictures from our kitchen remodel. They started installing the kitchen cabinets on Thursday. You can click on the pictures to see more detail. The pictures don’t do them justice because they look incredible. … […]

Comments