Kitchen Remodel Update – More Pictures

By JLP | October 29, 2007

The kitchen/family room renovation is basically complete. We’re still waiting on our GE Café Duel-Fuel range, which should be in by next week (at least that’s what they tell me). I bet you guys are getting tired of all these kitchen posts. I’m sorry about that but this has been a significant part of my life for the last few weeks.

Anyway, here are some new pictures of the kitchen and family room:

Notice the gaping hole where the range should be.

The countertop isn’t as black as I thought it would be. I like it but it does look different that what I imagined. Of course it is hard to imagine an entire countertop from a 2 X 2 inch sample piece.

I’m VERY happy with the bookcases and TV. The HD channels look awesome on the TV. I just wish there was more of them.

Both my wife and I are very pleased with the outcome. I would highly recommend our contractor! The entire project took about 6 weeks, which is pretty good in my opinion.

Topics: Kitchen Remodel | 14 Comments »

14 Responses to “Kitchen Remodel Update – More Pictures”

1. Money Socket Says:
    October 29th, 2007 at 12:27 pm

That massive entertainment center is awesome. What I really like is the color scheme of your paint, the wood tone and the furniture. Everything is so warm and so natural with a bit of an antique look. Im buying a house in a few months and I cant wait add a personal touch to it. Your remodel is going to serve as an inspiration, especially the colors. Thanks for the detailed photos I will be showing my fiance. :)

2. Brad Says:
    October 29th, 2007 at 12:40 pm

It looks outstanding, JLP.

3. Chuck Says:
    October 29th, 2007 at 12:40 pm

Looks really nice. 6 weeks is certainly a good timeframe for large scale remodel like that.

I’m sure my wife would love to remodel our kitchen but that project budget wise is a long time off!

4. Stacey Says:
    October 29th, 2007 at 1:46 pm

Love it all–esp the entertainment system.

RE: the dual-fuel range–I like mine, but if yours has a black top…your wife will undoubtedly learn to hate it b/c it’s a $#%@* to keep clean.

Do you have 2 ovens w/it? If so, breads/rolls tend to not do so well in the top one, since they’re close to the heating element, but chicken nuggets, etc. cook ok. So choose your ovens carefully!

PS Any advice re: cabinet purchases?

5. FMF Says:
    October 29th, 2007 at 1:48 pm

Very nice!

6. Two Cent Finance Says:
    October 29th, 2007 at 3:34 pm

Those pictures look awesome! As Chuck said my wife would like to do some stuff but that day is more than a few years away.

October 29th, 2007 at 3:40 pm

Thanks, everyone.

Chuck & Two Cent Finance,

We were in our house 8 years before we took this project on. When we bought our house the kitchen had dark paneling, dark cabinets, and brown kitchen carpet. It looked like a bat cave it was soooo dark! We tried to go the cheap route by painting the cabinets but decided we didn’t like it so we went another 3 years with no cabinet doors, drawers, and had a lovely cement floor. It was fun!

8. Jordan Says:
    October 29th, 2007 at 7:51 pm

That looks fantastic. Very well done.

9. Jordan Says:
    October 29th, 2007 at 7:53 pm

you should build in a small stand under the TV that way the cable box can sit under it and you wont have those wires hanging out. Or drill some small holes in the back of the unit and run the wires that way (I am totally OCD about wires, it comes from years of managing server racks hehe)

10. nathan Says:
    October 30th, 2007 at 5:45 am

Very nice. Looks like you did away with the pocket door — I’m guessing they put that cased opening in after the cabinets because they are TIGHT against that casing.

I love the way the stained and white crown match up perfectly. They must have made their own crown or else used the stain-grade crown to do both?

that’s a unique move on the Entertainment Ctr kick (at the bottom) — maybe a “signature” look by that cabinetmaker?

Would you mind if I did a case study video of your remodel at my site (using your pictures)?

11. Tom Says:
    October 30th, 2007 at 4:31 pm

The whole project looks fantastic. I see you spent a little extra $$$ on the Samsung LCD. An excellent choice! Which one did you get? I’m either going to get the 71 or 81 series. 81 series is the one with the LED backlighting

12. kim mcelroy Says:
    April 11th, 2008 at 3:50 pm

found your blog while researching GE Cafe, we just got the duel fuel and I have a few problem. We are using a Dacor downdraft which means stove sticks out mote than it should, sides are black not stainless, although bought a freestanding model. Do you have the over the range microwave and if so how does it vent for you. Overall happy the Cafe series.
    Thanks for any insights, comments.
    Kim McElroy Charlotte NC

13. the kitchen remodeling guru Says:
    April 27th, 2009 at 1:45 pm

Remodeling a kitchen can be a giant task that often can seem overwhelming. Not only in the scope of the work but also from a bank account standpoint. Things get a little easier if you break the project in to the several smaller projects that make up a successful kitchen remodel.

14. Comment on Kitchen Remodel Update - More Pictures by the kitchen… at Kitchen Design and Building News Says:
    April 27th, 2009 at 4:20 pm

[...] Things get a little easier if you break the project in to the several smaller projects that make up a successful kitchen remodel. Go to Source: Comment on Kitchen Remodel Update – More Pictures by the kitchen… [...]

Comments