Share With Us: What Are Your Goals for 2008?

By JLP | December 27, 2007

Christmas is over and now 2008 is upon us. The beginning of a new year is a great time to do things like rebalance your portfolio, re-configure your budget and set goals. Today, we’re going to talk about goals. I would like to know what some of your goals are for 2008. Here are a few of my goals for the coming year (I’m not going to bother you with my gameplan for each goal):

1. Read two books per month.
2. Read to my kids for 15 minutes each night.
3. Go to bed by 10 PM and get up by 5 AM. – I’m typically a night owl, which messes up my morning schedule. It’s time I grew up!
4. Stick to our budget. – Although we don’t “blow” money per se, we could do a much better job sticking to our budget.
5. Eat better. – I need to consistently eat healthier meals and add more fruits and vegetables to my diet.
6. Take my wife out on a date at LEAST once a month.
7. Have fun and enjoy life. – I tend to be a negative person. Why that is, I do not know. All I know is that I want to change.

Those are a few of the more general goals I have for my life. I’ll take each of these goals and break them down into steps so that I have a plan for reaching them.

Now it’s your turn. What are 5 goals (or more) you want to accomplish in 2008.

Topics: Personal Growth | 24 Comments »

24 Responses to “Share With Us: What Are Your Goals for 2008?”

1. Mrs. Micah Says:
    December 27th, 2007 at 10:24 am

1. Grow my blog to 300 subscribers by June and 500 by December (or more!).

2. Explore more freelance opportunities.

3. Learn to relax. (kind of like your 7. I’m just too aware of things and it overloads me)

4. Do some non-blog writing.

5. Learn to stop procrastinating…

2. Curtis Says:
    December 27th, 2007 at 10:48 am

I only had one real goal this past year. That was to be 12 pounds lighter than I was on Jan 1st. As of now, I’m down 16! I try to keep my goals very measurable and specific, otherwise they get lost and hard to shoot for. For next year we have several financial goals:
    1. Net Worth that is not negative
    2. Checking and savings balance at 10k
    3. Retirement plans above 15k
    4. Credit Card balances under 30k

I’m also setting my fitness goal this year to get my body fat percentage under 15% (currently about 18-19%).

The final goal is going to be home remodling related and to get the basement cleaned out and have the first floor and garage electric re-wired.

3. Beth Says:
    December 27th, 2007 at 11:42 am

Major Financial Goals for 2008:

1. Debt free by December!
    2. Start/Fund IRA at least 50% by December
    3. Emergency fund of at least $5,000 by December
    4. Stick to my financial plan!

My financial goals are a little odd in that I’m referring to my own PERSONAL debt, not including that of my husband who is covering the mortgage, son’s car payment (finishes in August/September), and the travel trailer. (He’s smart…he has no more credit cards…not since about 1997!)Once I’m debt free, I’ll begin making extra payments for the travel trailer to have it paid off by August 2009, at which time that money will be put toward the mortgage.

Major Personal Goals for 2008:

1. Unload 30# by December (just over 2#/month should be do-able)
    2. Limit eating out to no more than 8 times per month ($200 max)
    3. Silver Anniversary cruise (TBD) sometime during the summer!

4. Honest Dollar Says:
    December 27th, 2007 at 12:11 pm

Financial:
    1. Max out IRA.
    2. Max out 401(k).
    3. Reduce discretionary expenses by $150 per month (less dining out / more cooking; fewer movies / more effective use of Netflix; less money spent at bookstore / more trips to the library).

Blog:
    1. At least 4 quality posts (preferably 6-7) per week.
    2. Still be writing this time next year.

General:
    1. Continue eating better, exercising more.
    2. Getting frustrated with / annoyed by little things less often.

I expect the quantified goals (financial and blog goals) to be met. The general personal goals are probably going to be a little harder to achieve.

5. tarits Says:
    December 27th, 2007 at 1:43 pm

uh-oh. i ended up making 21 goals/resolutions for the new year. the more specific ones wereL

1. walk when possible

4: Write a trashy romance novel
    5: Finish Year Five of AFiW

7. Pharmboy Says:
    December 27th, 2007 at 2:57 pm

1. pay off our mortgage
    2. work on my attitude to better enjoy my job
    3. run half-marathon and lose 15 lbs.
    4. read the Bible on a regular basis
    5. impregnate the mrs.

8. Rob Lewis Says:
    December 27th, 2007 at 4:35 pm

1. Reduce debt
    2. Increase savings
    3. Reduce outgoings / expenses
    4. Increase pensions contributions

So not much really!!

9. Mike Says:
    December 27th, 2007 at 5:05 pm

I read to my daughter every night before bed from when she was age 2 to age 13. Now that she is 20 I reminded her of this and she didn’t remember. Ha. Although I don’t regret it and highly recommend it in fact.

10. Jordan Says:

4. read at least 3 books a month
    5. get back on the paleolithic diet and on crossfit again
    6. write a kick ass senior thesis
    7. score over 720 on the gmat

13. Adam Says:
    December 28th, 2007 at 1:58 pm

Hmm, goals for the new year:

1. Create a budget
    2. Finish Saving (and Paying) for my wedding.
    3. Create an Emergency Fund of 3 Months Gross Salary
    4. Pay Off Credit Card Debt
    5. Begin AGGRESIVELY paying down student loans
    6. Enroll in MS program in Chemical (or if not possible, Mechanical) Engineering
    7. Look for opportunities to also get my MBA alongside the MS.

14. Foobarista Says:

3. Complete the Century Ride for the third straight year

4. Compete the Honolulu Marathon

5. Make a decision about the direction of my current romantic relationship

17. Frugal Guy Says:
    December 29th, 2007 at 1:50 pm

Get a real job.

I’ve been trying to develop an online incoming via my blog and a blog directory, but it’s tough to do without having a traditional career income to promote it.

In 2008 I’ll bite the bullet and join the 9-5 club again. I’ll combine the strategies I’ve learned while living on the cheap, reading a bazillion personal finance posts, and try to exit the work world again in another 2-5 years.

Best wishes for 2008!

18. db Says:
    December 29th, 2007 at 11:57 pm

My goals:

1. Start snowballing on my evil student loan.

2. Lose 25 lbs by my birthday

3. Break into freelance catalog copywriting for side income (profits to be funnelled 10% into savings and 90% into snowballing on the evil student loan).

19. Neith Says:
    December 30th, 2007 at 11:48 pm

1. finish my bleeding dissertation and get my Ph.D.
    2. finish paying off the credit cards
    3. double the emergency fund
    4. institute a regular exercise regimine (as opposed to the current scattershot program!)
    5. convert our VHS tapes to DVD

20. Improve Your Score Says:
    January 1st, 2008 at 9:21 pm

1. Get more visitors to my site.
    2. Lose 5 lbs.
    3. Read a book a month.
    4. Get rid of DirecTV.
    4. Figure out how the internet works so I can make a bunch of money and retire.

21. Money Smarts » Scoff all you want at New Year resolutions Says:
    January 2nd, 2008 at 6:44 pm

[…] The Digerati Life makes specific goals about blogging. I should figure out my own goals for MoneySmarts but I guess I’m still so new at this that I just want to enjoy writing. All Financial Matters’ goals remind me that life and money are very much related. Flexo who blogs in Consumerism Commentary makes specific goals when it comes to increasing his net income, paying down his student loans and even contributing to charity. These are what I call goals that are meant to last longer than the brightest ink. […]

22. » Morning Roundup: Goals Across the Web on Consumerism Commentary: A Personal Finance Blog Says:
    January 3rd, 2008 at 7:17 am

[…] No Credit Needed: 15 Resolutions and Goals for 2008 AllFinancialMatters: Share With Us: What Are Your Goals for 2008? Get Rich Slowly: My Three Goals for 2008 and How I’ll Approach Them Mighty Bargain Hunter: Thanks for 2007 and Goals for 2008 FiveCentNickel: Setting Financial Goals for 2008 Being Frugal: A Look Ahead: Goals for the New Year Smart Easy Money: 10 Financial Goals for 2008 Single Ma’s Fabulous Financials: Single Ma’s Goals for 2008 Frank the Financially Savvy Atheist: Goals for 2008 Blogging Away Debt: Out 2008 Financial Goals […]

23. Meg Says:
    January 4th, 2008 at 5:10 pm

1. Go to yoga 3x per week.
    2. Create & implement a Plan for my blog.
    3. Get a raise.
    4. Buy no new clothes (I posted about this, and I’m serious)
    5. This one’s a secret…: Get engaged

(I love sharing secrets on this blog apparently; people I know in “real life” read my own so i can’t always be 100% candid.) :-)

24. Fabulous Financials v2.0 » Link Love: PF Bloggers Set Goals for 2008 Says: