Social Security Death Benefits

By JLP | June 14, 2008

Last month, a friend lost her husband in an accident on his way to work. Now she has to raise their little boys, ages three and six, by herself. I’m not sure what her financial situation is like now, but I’ve spent the last month making sure that my husband and I have adequately provided for our family in the event of the unthinkable.

I figured out that we have adequate life insurance. You can read my posts at Chief Family Officer on figuring out how much life insurance you need and whether you might need a whole life policy. I also shared 10 tips for reducing your life insurance costs.

For the first time, I researched Social Security death benefits and learned some interesting things:

For more information, visit the Widows, Widowers, and Other Survivors section of the SSA web site.

Topics: Miscellaneous | 13 Comments »

13 Responses to “Social Security Death Benefits”

1. Esther Says:
    June 20th, 2008 at 2:37 pm

My sister died in 2005 at age 38. At that time, she left behind a husband and two boys, ages 5 and 10. In what form, and in whose name, are the boys receiving my sister’s SS death benefits? Does my brother-in-law have direct access to that money, or does it go into some kind of trust for the boys to have when they come of age?

2. Cathy Says:
    June 20th, 2008 at 3:19 pm

@Esther – I’m no expert, but I would guess the money goes to the boys’ guardian, who presumably would be her husband. I doubt it would go into a trust, since the money is intended for current living expenses. The best way to know for sure would be to ask your brother-in-law, or, if you’re not comfortable doing that, the Social Security Administration. They probably won’t answer personal questions, but they should be able to answer general questions like who the checks are made out to. You might even be able to find the answer on their web site (just click on the link in the post).

3. John Says:
    August 24th, 2008 at 6:49 pm

My Mom is 80 divorced and recieves a small portion of Dad’s SS Benefits ( he died 21 yrs ago) He remarried and the second wife recently died . Can My Mother get an increase in monies ( ie. full survivors benefits) now that the second wife has passed?

4. susanne smith Says:
    October 3rd, 2008 at 5:11 pm

My mother died 8/26/08. Is the sept. payment from social security to be returned?

5. Giovanni Mathews Says:
    December 22nd, 2008 at 8:33 pm

Hello
    My father died in 2005, he was 67. My mother is currently 57 years old. Is she eligible to receive his pension since she was a non-working spouse?

6. Kelly Says:
    January 3rd, 2009 at 5:30 am

My husband died in 2002. My four children and I have been receiving his SS. The childrens bennifits have paid all of them until they finished high school.
    My youngest son will be 16 in Sept. Does that mean in Sept. I will no longer recive the SS?
    I am 100% handicapped and I will be 49 this year.

7. judy knight Says:
    January 6th, 2009 at 9:14 am

I have been married 2 times and both husbands are deseased.Iwant to know if both husbands remarried,but both wifes have remarried. My 2nd hasband i was working and had to take a leave from work to take care of him and borrowed money from my work to keep from losin our home and our car.I also had a son that my x husband took responsibility for due to the fact i didnt recieve child support and he [my x husband] was told he could claim him as his child so am i entitled to any of his ss benefits.Ihave never remarried.If you can give me any advise i would appreciate it. thank you very much, yours truely judy knight

8. Roy Says:
    June 18th, 2009 at 12:45 am

I was born on Jan. 20th 1938. I began drawing social security at age 65 and two months (that was my full benifit age). My wife was born on June 2nd. 1946. If my wife begins drawing social security at age 63 and begins drawing from her work record can she get survivors benifits when she turns 66 (her full retirement age) at the exact rate that I am getting when she recieves servivors benifits after I am dead. In other words if I was getting $1,800 a month would she also get $1,800 a month under survivors benifits.

9. Julia Martin Says:
    September 2nd, 2009 at 11:38 am

question: Are both parties eligible for the $255.00 death benefit or does it just go to whoever dies first the husband or wife? example:
    If the husband dies & you get the death benefit
    then the wife dies years later does she also get
    the death benefit from social security? Also if
    a person get ss & they die do you return their last check or do they keep it since when you start getting ss they are a month behind?

10. Krisha Caudle Says:
    October 14th, 2009 at 5:04 pm

My son’s father was killed 13 years ago, 5 days shy of his 21st birthday. S.S. denied the application because he didn’t have enough credit hours. He did work, just not enough. I’ve come across several people with similar instances and their children are getting S.S., but they are too afraid to give their personal info in fear of their own S.S. changing. Is there another program or something? Many thanks for taking the time to review and respond. Krisha Caudle

11. Georgia Ellis Says:
    November 4th, 2009 at 3:20 pm

My stepfather died in 2004. My mother is 85 years of age and has not remarried. Is she entitled to my stepfather’s social security benefit?

12. lori brody Says:
    January 3rd, 2010 at 3:39 pm

if my husband dies and i recieve his social security will that go towards my student loans that are not yet paid off at the time—-also any estate money

13. RENASCHARLOW Says:
    August 28th, 2010 at 8:27 pm

I AM 84yrs OF AGE I AM RECIEVING SS BENIFITS FROM MY HUSBAND,WHO DIED 4yrs AGO,I HAD BEEN RECIEVING
    SSI,BECAUSE OF HEALTH REASONS,THEY TOOK SSI AWAY FROM ME,MY INCOME IS 1015.00 A MONTH SS,I CAN’T MAKE IT ON THAT,I HAVE TO PAY FOR EVERY THING,YET EVERY BILL HAS GONE UP,AND MY HEATH IS’NOT GOOD,
    WHAT IS THERE FOR ME TO DO ?

Comments