Subscribe to AFM

Subscribe to AllFinancialMatters
by Email

All Financial Matters

Promote Your Page Too

The American's Creed

Site Sponsors

AFM in the Media

Money Magazine May 2008

Real Simple March 2008

Blogroll (Daily Reads)

« | Main | »

Alternative to 529 plans (or how to save for college without tying up your money for 18 years)

By JLP | June 20, 2008

I’ve mentioned over at Chief Family Officer that I plan to send my children to private school. One of the difficulties I run into when it comes to saving for college is that I don’t necessarily want to tie my money up for 18 years in a 529 plan when there’s a possibility, however slim, that we just might need it to pay for private school tuition.

While a 529 plan has many advantages, I hate the idea of paying a penalty if I need to withdraw the money before my kids start college. So I’ve been looking for alternatives to 529s, and here’s what I’ve come up with:

Obviously, your options are limited if you want to save for college in tax-advantaged accounts while avoiding having to pay a penalty if you withdraw your money early. But with the Coverdell and Roth options, you can save a decent amount each year that will still be accessible should you need it.

Have I left out any options?

Topics: Miscellaneous | 8 Comments »

8 Responses to “Alternative to 529 plans (or how to save for college without tying up your money for 18 years)”

  1. JoeTaxpayer Says:
    June 20th, 2008 at 8:21 am

    Well, this is tough. Assuming you are using the retirement accounts for something crazy already, retirement, perhaps, the IRAs get knocked out. A real shame that Coverdell (The College account formerly known as ‘Education IRA’) is so limited. You say chilren, more than one, you’ll need to save far more than the $2000 Coverdell allows. But if they go to private school, the chance they go to college is nearly 100%, no? So why not put some in the 529, after topping off the Coverdell?

  2. Susan Says:
    June 20th, 2008 at 8:31 am

    Saving for your kids’ good. Very good post.

    Unfortunatly, not everyone can save for their children education. But those who can and don’t should start by reading this article.

    It’s so simple and it make a world of difference.

  3. Credence Says:
    June 20th, 2008 at 11:53 am

    We are in an interesting situation with respect to college funds, because we are also trying to avoid a 529. We live in America, but my husband is a French citizen, and his entire close-knit family lives over there. Where a college education is FREE. We plan to move over there, basically for this reason, in 9 years, once my older son (from a previous marriage) graduates HS.

    The dilemma is that our younger kids are American-born (though also French citizens) and bilingual/bicultural. So we are saving money in case they REALLY want to go to college here — and crossing our fingers that they will want to go over there!

    Because of all this, we don’t want to use a 529, because if they go to school over there, we’ll be hit with nice big penalties when we withdraw the money. So what we are doing is just putting our contributions into a regular old investment account, with low-cost funds that won’t throw off a bunch of taxable dividends. And hopefully, in 15 years, the money will be ours and it will be a nice retirement supplement. : ) (Or money for the kids to start businesses, or down payments on houses, or something like that.)

  4. TJ Says:
    June 20th, 2008 at 4:38 pm

    Contributions from a Roth IRA can be withdrawn at anytime without penalty. There is no 5 year holding period requirement.

  5. thomas Says:
    June 21st, 2008 at 2:06 pm

    does the Savings Bond program include paying back student loans? I have $1000 in bonds I would love to just dump out on my school loan.

  6. Cathy Says:
    June 22nd, 2008 at 2:32 pm

    @TJ – Thanks for the correction!

    @Thomas – I don’t think so, unfortunately! But check the Treasury site or consult an accountant to be sure.

  7. Stacey Says:
    June 25th, 2008 at 7:39 pm

    I believe 529 funds can also be used at some “foreign” universities. Ditto re: JoeTaxpayer suggesting spillover into 529s. No tax on earnings, a possible state tax deduction, protection from bankruptcy creditors, favorable finanical aid treatment, etc. All are good, no?!!!!

    An added note re: the US Savins bonds–they must be owned/titled in the parent’s name, not be in the child’s name.

  8. Andrew Says:
    July 3rd, 2008 at 8:43 pm

    I’d personally still try to put something in my 529 plan each month, even if you want to hold some out for private school.

    529 Plan Guide