Summer Spending

By JLP | June 27, 2008

Do you find yourself spending more in the summer months? Not just because of vacations, but in general?

After reading a recent post by English Major, it hit me.

This morning I was pouring over my actual budget (what I’ve spent as opposed to what I planned to spend) at Mint, and I couldn’t believe how much I’ve spent already in June.

I have spent over $600 on food (including alcohol) this month. For just me! I know, it’s embarassing, but that’s $200 more than I usually spend – and there’s still one weekend to go! I have also spent over $300 on entertainment – I usually spend less than $50! I was racking my brain trying to figure out what’s going on, and then I read EM’s post (linked above).

The culprit is Summer!

Days are long and the weather is great. The sun is still shining at 8:45pm here in Texas, and I’m loathe to head home from work at 5:30pm, cook dinner at home, and flip on the TV – a common wintertime ritual. Plus the nicer weather just puts you in a good mood – perhaps a recipe for unchecked spending?

Instead every day feels like a bit like the weekend. I have been hitting up patios right and left for weeknight dinners, going out to more lunches, and frequenting some local outdoor concerts (free ones, but somehow after paying for parking, a bottle of wine, and some cheese and crackers to eat on the lawn, those free concerts sure do cost me a lot!).

Now that I know this I’ll be sure to adjust my budget for July and August. Except there’s no where from which to cut expenses. Utilities cost more, gas costs more, and I don’t really shop much no matter what season it is. Then there’s the vacation I’m planning next month. Plus with all the sandals I’m wearing in this heat, I’m really craving a manicure and pedicure – a splurge I can easily do without in other seasons.

So what about the readers? Do you spend more in during the summer?

More from Meg at The World of Wealth

Topics: Budgeting | 12 Comments »

12 Responses to “Summer Spending”

1. Kimberly Says:
    June 27th, 2008 at 3:11 pm

You are experiencing my wrath only because this is the second time I’ve seen it this week — it’s poring, not pouring.

And yes, I am definitely spending more than in the winter. Our entertainment expense has gone up because of summer movie blockbusters, and we’re spending more on gas because we’re driving to mountains and the parks to get out in the gorgeous summer weather.

2. KC Says:
    June 27th, 2008 at 3:31 pm

We always spend more in the summer. There are baseball games to go to as well as a couple of vacations. We generally don’t go anywhere from Nov-Feb. But I always go to Spring Training in March and then we have two vacations in the summer. Money just flies out the window. Sometimes we even go on a long weekend in September or October – so more money. I find I save best in the Fall for some reason.

3. Bozo Says:
    June 27th, 2008 at 7:24 pm

The only thing I spend more on in the summer is water for my tomato plants.

I have five tomato plants. I have now five tomatoes (or, is it tomatos?). If they all ripen are are edible, I figure it’s about $100/tomato.

As I told my wife, leave the tomato growing to the professionals.

The herbs are a much better bargain.

Yours,

Bozo

4. Preston Says:
    June 27th, 2008 at 9:36 pm

We usually do pretty well in the summer to not spend a bunch…but this year we have a second car and a young one so my stay-at-home wife is driving around more than ever before.

Although with controls on the heat pump to regulate when the AC will kick in, the utility bill is a LOT less in the wife. Luckily, that is one thing inside the house that I control.

I’m amazed that you spent $600 on food for just yourself…our family food budget for my wife, myself, and our 1 year old son is about $350-450 a month depending on pantry supplies.

5. Deb Says:
    June 28th, 2008 at 12:12 am

HEY BOZO – you can collect water in your house for your tomato plants. Keep a gallon jug next to your kitchen sink, and catch the cold water while you’re waiting for the hot. Keep a bucket in the shower, catch the cold water while waiting for the hot. Use all of that water that would have gone down the drain (that you paid for anyway) on your tomato plants. Honestly, it sounds like work, but it’s easy, and you’ll save $$ for sure. Plus, well….Mother Nature will love you for it too. :o )

6. One Chance To Live Says:
    June 28th, 2008 at 1:00 am

Our electricity bill is lower because we don’t use AC and there is more sunlight which means less use of lights inside. It also get’s cheaper for me because my girlfriend is home for the summer so I dont go out to eat with her as often. I can’t think of any one area that would increase because of summer in my budget…maybe gas?

Keep up the good work…one day I hope to have the blog traffic you have…in five or so years of course…haha

7. One Chance To Live Says:
    June 28th, 2008 at 1:01 am

My electricity bill is lower because we don’t use AC and there is more sunlight which means less use of lights inside. It also get’s cheaper for me because my girlfriend is home for the summer so I dont go out to eat with her as often. I can’t think of any one area that would increase because of summer in my budget…maybe gas?

8. Foobarista Says:
    June 28th, 2008 at 9:10 pm

For us in the SF Bay Area, our expenses go down in summer. We don’t have – or need – air conditioning, so utility bills are at yearly lows, and the big parties of winter are past so food bills are also low. Costs will pick up in July and August as the summer party season kicks in, but November through February (ie, Thanksgiving through Chinese New Year) have many parties that involve serious food and drink.

During the week, we get home late enough that we don’t do much after work, although we try to take our evening walk a bit early so we can catch the sunset this time of year.

9. One Chance To Live Says:
    June 28th, 2008 at 9:45 pm

I added you to my blogroll cause I like what you do. I can’t wait to get to the point where I have people putting me in their blogroll like you.

10. Meg Says:
    June 29th, 2008 at 3:33 pm

Kimberly – OH! I know it’s actually “poring” and I don’t mind at all that you pointed it out at all! That kind of stuff drives me nuts as well.

11. Preston Says:
    June 30th, 2008 at 11:56 pm

Well, in the spirit of this post I took a stab at making a pie chart of our expenses. Shameless plug, sure, but check out my blog to see (by clicking on my name)

12. Rajini Gill Says:
    July 10th, 2008 at 1:45 am

Irrespective of seasons MoneyLIFE, a fortnightly personal finance magazine is always with me helping me in managing my personal finances better.

Sucheta Dalal, among the best known financial journalists in India (awarded Padma Shri in 2006) is the consulting editor.

Sharply focused on stocks, mutual funds, careers, consumer rights plus enterprise & smart spending it delivers a stellar mix of unbiased, credible, unique & relevant content with sharp analysis.

MoneyLIFE is the first publication in India to introduce fund & stock screens with stock identifications through a well-tested & transparent method (& not through hunch, impression or gut-feel).

for more visit http://www.moneylife.in