This Is My LEAST Favorite Time of Year!

By JLP | August 29, 2008

Here’s why:

That’s the projected path of Gustav. You can click here to see an updated graphic.

FYI – I realize I’m not the only one impacted by hurricanes. I inserted the red dot with the word “Me” next to it in order to give you a frame of reference as to how close my town is to the storm’s projected path.

Anyway, I hope this isn’t a repeat of Rita.

Topics: Hurricanes | 14 Comments »

14 Responses to “This Is My LEAST Favorite Time of Year!”

1. Roy in Virginia Says:
    August 29th, 2008 at 9:52 am

We’ll keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Best wishes.
    Roy

2. KC Says:
    August 29th, 2008 at 10:04 am

I grew up in North Carolina (mountains, not coast). Of course our big fear from hurricanes was rain and flooding. But I remember Hugo in 89 that was still hurricane strength in Charlotte and even in the mountains. It was pretty fearsome – tornadoes spawning from it and plenty of destruction. But still nothing compared to Hazel back in the 50s (that was the big one in the Carolinas)

Now I live in Memphis. We like hurricanes cause all the New Orleaneans come here to evacuate and we party with them til the hurricane goes away and they return home (or at least that’s how it was until Katrina :( ) . But last Monday a band of rain from Fay swirled through us. We had about 4 inches of rain in an hour and most of the city saw flash flooding at rush hour nonetheless. It was six feet deep in some of the underpasses – cars were completely submerged. On the six lane boulevard behind my house I saw a Mercedes and a Volvo floating down the road. And a few SUVs tried to pass through, unsuccessfully.

So I feel your pain, although it isn’t as direct or as painful as those who do have to evacuate. Good luck and remember, its just material possessions you are leaving behind – your family and pets are whats important.

3. Laura Says:
    August 29th, 2008 at 10:23 am

I hope Gustav decreases in strength. Wish you well on this hurricane season.

4. Beth Says:
    August 29th, 2008 at 10:45 am

Stay safe, JLP! I guess we can expect power failure on your end soon (ie – no computer access, again!)?

5. Randy Says:
    August 29th, 2008 at 12:05 pm

Having grown up in Corpus Christi, I can empathize. It’s much better to live a bit further away from the coast. Stay safe!

6. sam Says:
    August 29th, 2008 at 12:12 pm

Hope you have your 72 hour kit sitting by the front door, and gas in the car. We will be thinking about you this weekend.

On another note, the forecast is for snow above 8,000 ft. in the mountains of Utah this weekend.

7. Steve Braun Says:
    August 29th, 2008 at 1:03 pm

I will pray for you this weekend. Hopefully nothing comes of Gustav for anyone.

Sunny, clear, low/mid-80s all through the weekend here in Michigan.

Then again, we’ve suffered enough from Hurricane Jenny (governor) and now Hurricane Kwame (Detroit mayor) who have teamed up to wallop us with a one-state recession for the past 6 years.

8. Stacey Says:
    August 30th, 2008 at 10:03 am

Good luck JLP! What’s one more “storm” this month?!!

Miss the politics…too bad you’re devoted to just FP!! :)

9. Wilson Says:
    August 30th, 2008 at 11:59 am

JLP, I’m surprised about your location. I thought your were in the north part of country. To my disbelief, you are a stone’s throw to Houston where I’m watching Mr Gustav …

10. Matt Says:
    August 30th, 2008 at 10:40 pm

Good Luck JLP!

11. Darlene Marie Says:
    August 31st, 2008 at 9:17 am

JLP…I’m in the same boat. I am hunkered down in SW Louisiana. They are predicting it to come in as a category 1. I hope that is the case. I wish you the best of luck and I pray for everyone’s safety no matter where they are in location to this storm.

Darlene Marie

12. V Says:
    September 1st, 2008 at 9:04 am

Hey didn’t know Chris put you up on our home page. Hope you guys are all doing well and safe. Well can’t wait to see you all at Fall Fest. We got a dart board. Our forearms are killing us and I have put about 50 holes in the wall. Opps.
    Well hope you are all safe and sound and so is your home. You should really just move to Kansas. HAHA
    V

13. The Digerati Life Says:
    September 1st, 2008 at 2:41 pm

Take care of yourselves over there! We here in California get the wildfires every summer! And others get tornadoes and later on, blizzards. Nature is just so….wild!

14. Penny Says:
    September 2nd, 2008 at 5:00 pm

I live in Houston, but we haven’t even had rain today! Gustav was very anticlimactic for Houston, but I have family in Beaumont/Nederland area and they had to evacuate (also very anticlimactic since the storm is farther east), but they were also very nervous because of Rita. I’m not sure where you live in TX, but it looks like our state is only going to get a BUNCH of rain tomorrow.

Comments