It’s Hard to Blog With Ike in the Gulf

By JLP | September 11, 2008

So far we’re not planning to evacuate. Why? Because it would be horrible to try to evacuate with the Houston area evacuating too. That’s what happened with Rita.

Topics: Hurricanes | 14 Comments »

14 Responses to “It’s Hard to Blog With Ike in the Gulf”

1. Ron@TheWisdomJournal Says:
    September 11th, 2008 at 10:38 am

I understand your reasoning, but please be careful and secure your home as much as you can under the circumstances. This one could get serious.

2. philip Says:
    September 11th, 2008 at 10:54 am

I am in southwest part of Houston (actually Fort Bend) and I expect some good rain and heavy winds. I am hoping that our power does not go out, but will survive.

I am sitting in on this one with you, and I am at work both today and until noon tomorrow!

3. RC@Thinkyourwaytowealth Says:
    September 11th, 2008 at 12:49 pm

I know the feeling JLP! I just evacuated NO last week for Gustav, luckily it wasn’t too bad in the New orleans area. Whatever you do stay safe– things can always be replaced. Good Luck!

4. Randy Says:
    September 11th, 2008 at 3:57 pm

Be safe. I’ve got friends in Houston…so are leaving, but about half are staying put. Good luck; and keep us posted.

5. Stacey Says:
    September 11th, 2008 at 10:15 pm

I’ve got a spare house you can stay in in Illinois!! See, that’s the flip side of this lousy housing market! Stay safe…

xoxo, slm

6. Preston Says:
    September 11th, 2008 at 10:45 pm

So glad I live in Washington. The worst I have to worry about is the lahar if the mountain erupts (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_cyG2dJPpc)

I do live on the hill, and work on the hill so as long as I am not hanging out in the valley I’m good.
    In fact, that stretch of freeway near the end of the video where you look down on the valley…I’m about 2 miles from it…heh!

7. sam Says:
    September 12th, 2008 at 10:32 am

If you end up having to evacuate as far north as Salt Lake, let me know. You have my email.

8. Ginger Says:
    September 12th, 2008 at 12:06 pm

Please be careful, as someone else said things can be replaced.

Whatever you do, try to keep us updated

9. Steve Heath Says:
    September 12th, 2008 at 3:36 pm

In the spirit of the judgemental posts that have taken over the blog…

“I can’t believe some parents would risk their kids by staying in the path of a hurricane when evacuation has been recommended. What’s wrong with parents these days, are they that attached to their “stuff”? Can’t forgo a few of their favorite TV shows to fight the traffic with the other evacuees? What’s wrong with these people? Are they waiting for the government to give them taxi stamps?”

That said, hope everything works out fine for you JLP… even if you are a grumpy old man :)

September 12th, 2008 at 4:53 pm

Steve,

It’s JUDGMENTAL, not judgEmental. LOL!

I’m fully aware of how to assess danger for me and my family.

11. unimax Says:
    September 12th, 2008 at 6:28 pm

Please stay safe JLP.

12. KC Says:
    September 13th, 2008 at 10:39 am

Houston isn’t New Orleans. New Orleans is UNDER sea level. Houston is at sea level. There may be flash flooding and localized flooding, trees down and the like, but its nothing people who live in hurricane prone places aren’t used to.

Besides Houston is at least 4 times the size of NO. There is no way that many people could be evacuated in less than a week.

I think I’d be with you – get plenty of water, be prepared for the power to be out and just hunker down in my house. Hope you are safe.

13. Steve Says:
    September 13th, 2008 at 10:11 pm

JLP – Just want to be sure you know I was kidding, my thoughts are with everyone hit by the hurricane. And my wallet is praying the refineries make it out ok too!

14. Mary Says:
    September 14th, 2008 at 1:36 pm

How are you? How did you make it through Ike? Good luck with anything bad that may have befallen you.

Comments