2008 Benchmark Index Returns

By JLP | December 31, 2008

Okay, the markets closed about 30 minutes ago. Here’s a quick look at how some of the major U. S. market indexes performed for 2008. NOTE: These are not total returns. I’ll publish total returns as soon as they are available.

I don’t know about you but I’m happy to say goodbye to 2008!

Topics: Miscellaneous | 6 Comments »

6 Responses to “2008 Benchmark Index Returns”

1. thomas Says:
    January 1st, 2009 at 12:51 pm

I think “bad year” is an understatement. We’ll see how the market reacts with a new government in place and corporate belt tightening.

2. Mark Says:
    January 1st, 2009 at 1:04 pm

Last year was a brutal one for the market. Hoping that 2009 is better.

3. Todd Says:
    January 1st, 2009 at 3:16 pm

This is so painful because it takes nearly a 70% gain to recover from a 40% loss. I am really looking for a way to avoid at least some of carnage of these bear markets. It may take us several years to recover. Dollar cost averaging during these down times helps. I always try to increase my investing during a down market. I increased my 401K to 20% withdrawal.

4. Nick Says:
    January 1st, 2009 at 6:00 pm

Ouch! I didn’t do the math to realize a 70% gain would be needed to recover!

Being a recent college grad, i’m not too concerned yet as I have a lot of time left. Todd makes a good point about increasing 401k investments at this low point- especially for young investors like me.

Thanks JLP!

5. Chris Says:
    January 2nd, 2009 at 11:53 am

That hurts. I’m confident 2009 will be better though.
    I just hope everyone is keeping up/increasing contributions like some of these posters. It is a bad response to pull out or quit investing, and that is a mistake that far too many people will make.

6. Josh Itzoe Says:
    January 2nd, 2009 at 1:27 pm

No question the past several months have been extremely difficult. I thought this link on the Bogleheads Forum my be encouraging:

Also, Chris has a great point about bad responses. Unfortunately, the data suggests that November 2008 was not a good one for investor behavior. I discuss here:

Comments