Fun, Fun, and More Fun

By JLP | July 30, 2009

I have been preoccupied the last few days with computer issues.

I first noticed a couple of days ago that my computer was extremely slow when I tried to surf the internet. I found out from my brother that I had probably picked up a spybot or something along the way. I ran the Malwarebytes that was installed on my computer and it found a couple of items. I cleaned those out but my computer was still running slow. So, at the urging of my brother, I downloaded and installed Spybot Search & Destroy, which found a TON of stuff. After I cleaned all that stuff out, my computer ran fine.

Then this morning I woke up to find that my Norton Anti-virus software had expired. I have never liked Norton. It’s expensive and it seems to slow down my computer. I remembered reading somewhere that various internet service providers offer free anti-virus software to their customers. I checked with my provider, Roadrunner, and found that they offered anti-virus software from Computer Associates. I downloaded and installed the software and am in the process of getting it set up as I write this post. We’ll see how it works.

Topics: Miscellaneous | 11 Comments »

11 Responses to “Fun, Fun, and More Fun”

1. Andrew Says:
    July 30th, 2009 at 2:29 pm

The CA antivirus is garbage. It won’t catch anything. You should definitely buy NOD32 — incredibly fast and worth every penny.

2. Ben Says:
    July 30th, 2009 at 3:01 pm

If you’re looking for free avast is one of the best and it’s free.

3. LOL Says:
    July 30th, 2009 at 3:07 pm

I use avast as well (3 years now) — free!

4. Dave C. Says:
    July 30th, 2009 at 3:54 pm

You should go to download.com and lookup CCleaner, and Ad-Aware. Both are great programs, and have free versions that are fully functional. I’m speaking as a person who has worked in IT support for a number of years.

5. Dan Says:
    July 30th, 2009 at 8:37 pm

Another vote for avast.

6. Marc Says:
    July 31st, 2009 at 8:25 am

spywareblaster is great because unlike other programs it runs in the background and prevents spyware from installing in the first place. I think its more important than the search and destroy programs. for antivirus use AVG or avast, both free.

7. Ben Says:
    July 31st, 2009 at 11:20 am

AVG is another good free one…

8. ladam8518 Says:
    July 31st, 2009 at 12:40 pm

AVG is my favorite free anti-virus. Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D are my two spyware programs… each picks up threats missed by the other

9. Brian Says:
    July 31st, 2009 at 10:21 pm

I’ve always hated Norton and have steered clear of it for years. After reading good reviews of Norton 2009, I bought it. It works great now. They revamped everything and have really improved it. Even the memory footprint it uses is small. I have 2 gig of memory and Norton is only using 7 Meg. You can usually find a 3-license version for about $35 online.

10. unimax Says:
    August 1st, 2009 at 9:37 am

ccleaner + sypbot + avast is just good enough. I have been doing that 3+ years. All three run light and take minimal disk space.

11. gprbali Says:
    August 1st, 2009 at 8:26 pm

Another vote for free AVG. I used this free antivirus for nearly 2 years now, it works well on my PC and notebook with take less disk space compared with Norton.

Comments