Ripoff: Kellogg’s Cinnabon Bars

By JLP | October 22, 2009

This is kind of funny…

The other day, I picked up a box of Kellogg’s Cinnabon Bars. I know they aren’t good for me but they looked interesting so I thought I’d give them a try.

When I opened the box, I noticed that the bars seemed to be really small compared to the size of the box that housed them. Then, I was even more surprised to find just how small the bar actually was. I took a picture so you can see for yourself:

Kellogg's Cinnabon

Okay, I’m sure it’s expensive to make different size boxes for different products but I have to say that this just seems deceptive to me. I mean, why use such a big box and wrapper for such a small product?

These product downsizings are starting to get ridiculous and sneaky. Needless to say, I won’t be buying this product again (it didn’t even taste that good).

Topics: Rant | 8 Comments »

8 Responses to “Ripoff: Kellogg’s Cinnabon Bars”

1. Greg Says:
    October 22nd, 2009 at 1:59 pm

It is just like getting a bag of chips. The put so much in there and then seal up with a lot of air.

2. Sam Says:
    October 22nd, 2009 at 3:35 pm

I think that they are taking a cue from those candy companies that make the boxed chocolates that kids sell for school fundraisers. You know the ones that have the big plastic tray holding the chocolates so that they don’t come within an inch of another piece, as though they were some sort of nuclear fuel that has to be kept at a distance to avoid a detonation.

3. christopher Says:
    October 22nd, 2009 at 7:46 pm

Sam that was awesome! I love it!!!!

4. David M Says:
    October 23rd, 2009 at 7:47 am

JLP,

Great comments. I also hate how the size of many things you buy at food stores is decreasing, ice cream, tuna, toilet paper are one I have really noticed.

I would love to find a way to get back at the companies that keep making the size of the products smaller. I want them to know, I’m not stupid and that they should increase the price and not decrease the product size.

5. Russ Says:
    October 23rd, 2009 at 8:41 am

Movie theaters do this all the time with their candy. The actual candy is usually less than than half the size of the box.

6. theCase Says:
    October 26th, 2009 at 8:48 am

Hate to say it, but it is CAPITALISUM!

The weight of the contents is marked on the package and no one forces you to buy their product. If you don’t feel the value received is worth the price just don’t buy it. Thats sorta how the system works.

That being said, I don’t like it either. I’ve written letters to mfgr’s a couple times. The usaual response has been “survey’s have shown that what consumers want” (ha!).

7. Joseph Hornacek Says:
    November 2nd, 2009 at 9:06 pm

My concern was not about the size if the bar, as we all know everything has been down-sized. My concern is about Kellogg importing the Cinnabon bar from Mexico. I’ll never purchase another Kellogg product again. As a veteran and a union working man, I feel we’ve been sold out buy the CEO’s making the big wages who think they are doing us a favor by going to other countries for their products. Let’s support the USA, and the ones who made this great nation what it is or once was.

8. Ian Says:
    March 25th, 2010 at 4:41 pm

I’m almost positive that when they first came out, there were 8 per box instead of 6. And I’m absolutely certain that the size of the bar has shrunk in the last month or so.

Comments