Are People Really This Stupid?

By JLP | October 23, 2009

Jeremy at Gen X Finance posted this on his facebook page and I thought I’d share it with you. It’s Jay Leno talking with people about finance:

My question is:

Are people REALLY this dumb or are they just trying to get on the Jay Leno Show?

Topics: Miscellaneous | 20 Comments »

20 Responses to “Are People Really This Stupid?”

1. js Says:
    October 23rd, 2009 at 12:06 pm

Man, this isn’t even funny.

We are surrounded by morons.

2. JW Says:
    October 23rd, 2009 at 12:14 pm

Well, to paraphrase the late great George Carlin: “Imagine how stupid the average person is…now realize that half of them are even dumber than that.”

3. 444 Says:
    October 23rd, 2009 at 1:19 pm

I wonder if these people can be trusted to put on their underwear right-side-out every day.

4. jim Says:
    October 23rd, 2009 at 3:27 pm

Yeah its hard to know if people are playing dumb to be on TV or if they’re really that way. I wonder how many people they interview in order to find the ones they show? Some of the stuff people don’t know is optional information. My sister is horrible at geography but it doesn’t really matter in daily life if she knows where Germany is on a map.

5. js Says:
    October 23rd, 2009 at 4:24 pm

Is it optional to know who the first president of the united states is?

It shouldn’t be.

October 23rd, 2009 at 4:30 pm

js,

Good point. I think our schools are failing us these days because they aren’t challenging us enough and are not teaching us the basics. And, they are passing kids on to the next grade even though they aren’t ready.

7. traineeinvestor Says:
    October 23rd, 2009 at 10:20 pm

Maybe people should be required to take a financial literacy test before being allowed to borrow money, get a credit card or vote.

8. Financial Samurai Says:
    October 23rd, 2009 at 10:26 pm

I think it’s all about entertainment actually.

And b/c people might not be that smart, it’s the best way to make your own big money.

October 23rd, 2009 at 10:26 pm

That and to be able to vote.

10. Dan Says:
    October 24th, 2009 at 3:49 pm

11. Joe N. Says:
    October 25th, 2009 at 12:51 am

Cheer up. These are the morons who will be serving you fast food for years to come.

12. MossySF Says:
    October 25th, 2009 at 1:01 pm

Yes, lots of people are dumb but if Jay Leno came up to you and started asking basic questions, you’d know this was for the JayWalking segment. So you can give really dumb answers and be on TV … or you can give the correct answers and have your footage cut. How may would rather have the 30 seconds of national air time at the cost of having people poke fun at you for a while? Pretty tempting … pretty tempting.

13. Foobarista Says:
    October 25th, 2009 at 2:06 pm

I’ve opened CDs with my teeth, or with a pocket-knife. Those clamshell cases are evil :)

They were clearly BSing to get on the show.

14. MLR Says:
    October 25th, 2009 at 8:35 pm

If he interviewed 100 people for every one featured, then I would say that we are in good shape.

I feel bad for those people, but I can’t make a declarative statement about people as a whole based on a TV segment whose purpose is to highlight idiots! :)

15. kitty Says:
    October 25th, 2009 at 8:46 pm

MossySF – totally agree. At least the first girl was obvious – you could say she was kidding: she was laughing, gave the answers way too quickly. Like “New York Boulvard” — this was so obvious.

The others were less obvious, but still, the answers were just too silly. Normally if you are serious and you don’t know, you’d just say I don’t know or at least think a bit and maybe come up with something that is kind of close or is at least plausible. But “a turtle and a hare”? Come on.

16. jim Says:
    October 26th, 2009 at 9:51 am

Yeah it’s absolutely astounding… :)

17. KC Says:
    October 27th, 2009 at 8:50 am

I’m sure they picked the funniest (and dumbest) answers. And if you listened to the professions of these people and looked at them you’d realize they aren’t lawyers and bankers. I wouldn’t even argue these are regular people, but the most clueless they could find.

18. Sam Says:
    October 28th, 2009 at 5:31 pm

I have no doubt that there are lots of dumb folks out there, but I have to agree with the other commenters that some of this is just playing dumb to get on the TV.

19. Greg Says:
    October 30th, 2009 at 8:20 am

I agree with others that several of these folks are playing dumb to get on TV. But seriously what about your dignity? Do you really want people to view you as a moron? I would rather answer the questions intelligently and not be featured than to appear as an idiot on national television. These people are stupid for pretending to be stupid.

20. Tommy Says:
    November 21st, 2009 at 2:37 pm

Haha this is absolutley disgusting. I can’t belive that we are American’s, the #1 super power in the world and we are unable to teach our future generation of politicians the history of the United States. I mean these are the people that vote and they don’t know their right from their left. It really says that someone needs to step up and say look, whatever we’re doing right now is obviously making us less capable of being able to govern ourselves in the near future. Just look at ex-pres G.W. Bush. Do you think he knew who the first president of the United States was before he was in office? probably not but I’d be damn sure he knew who the founder of Texaco was. It’s a sad world we live in and I say shame shame shame…. I give these people an IQ score of 5… idiots.

Comments