OT: Check Out This Violinist

By JLP | December 21, 2009

I couldn’t sleep last night so I grabbed my iPod and scrolled through until I found something interesting to listen to. I settled on Felix Mendelssohn’s Violin Concerto E minor, Op. 64 (classical music titles confuse me). This concerto has three parts. The last part, Allegro molto vivace is what I want you see. The version I have in my music collection is played by the London Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Charles Dutoit with Salvatore Accardo on violin. The version I found on the YouTube is Sarah Chang with the New York Philharmonic. This is awesome:

Topics: Miscellaneous | 10 Comments »

10 Responses to “OT: Check Out This Violinist”

1. Stacey Says:
    December 21st, 2009 at 11:46 pm

She’s great–and apparently the only one playing without the sheet music!

2. Jason Says:
    December 22nd, 2009 at 1:29 pm

@Stacey – Soloists don’t ever use sheet music :)

Look up some videos of Joshua Bell if you liked watching Sarah’s performance. There was also a very funny and enlightening article with Bell in it in the Washington Post a while back.

3. kitty Says:
    December 22nd, 2009 at 10:14 pm

Sarah Chang is very famous. She’s been performing professionally with famous conductors since she was a little girl. Everyone was amazed at how mature her interpretation was even then.

I thought all concert performers play without the sheet music. At least I don’t remember ever seeing it.

4. kitty Says:
    December 23rd, 2009 at 3:37 pm

This is Sarah Chang at the age of 10 – unbelievable:
    This is what it means to be really gifted!

Stacey, after I read your note I thought maybe my memory was failing me… So I watched other videos on YouTube of other classical concert performers. My memory didn’t fail me, they all play without sheet music. Accompanists or orchestra may use sheet music, but soloists in classical music recitals never do. BTW – when I had piano lessons as a child, I was required to memorize pieces, and I never had any ambitions (or talent) to become a professional, much less a concert performer.

5. anna Says:
    December 23rd, 2009 at 10:44 pm

That is a lovely piece. I’ve tended to stick more with the composers from the late baroque and general classical eras (and beethoven, who’s usually categorized by himself) so I have a lot less familiarity with the romantic artists and hadn’t heard this before.

I have to ask, how do classical music titles confuse you? I don’t want to get into condescension land and start explaining things you might or not not already know, but for eg opus listings for mendelssohn in particular, you can look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_compositions_by_Felix_Mendelssohn

6. Hogan Says:
    December 29th, 2009 at 11:15 pm

You are right that was awesome

7. jim Says:
    January 1st, 2010 at 10:23 am

Not only is her playing phenomenal, she looks like she is having a lot of fun. Her facial expressions are great!

8. Roger Says:
    January 6th, 2010 at 9:54 pm

If this doesn’t take your breath away, you should check for a pulse.

Magnifico!

9. Stacey Says:
    January 7th, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Jason and Kitty, yes of course I knew that SHE wouldn’t be playing with sheet music. My jab was at the other musicians. Guess the joke was only understood by me. I often make myself chuckle… ;)

10. kitty Says:
    January 8th, 2010 at 10:33 am

Since we talk about classical music – are there any opera fans around? If you are and if you missed “The Audition” documentary when it was aired during Met HD broadcasts last year and if you are interested, it’s supposed to be on PBS on January 20th at 9pm eastern. I guess “local times may vary”. For those who don’t know it’s behind-the-scenes look at the finals of the most prestigious opera competition in North America – Metropolitan Opera National Council Auditions. If you aren’t really an opera fan but were impressed by some of the “opera” performances on random-country-got-talent shows, you may be interested as well.

Jason – if I remember correctly PBS will also broadcast Joshua Bell recital on January 21st at 8pm Eastern. As usual with PBS “local times may vary”.

Comments