5 Tips for Saving Energy in Your Family Room

By JLP | July 15, 2010

Here are 5 energy-saving tips I read this morning in this post.

1. Reconsider that plasma TV.

A typical plasma TV (less than 40 inches) consumes 441 kilowatt hours of electricity per year, according to ACEEE. That translates into about $50 (based on 11.3 cents per kilowatt hour). Next up are TiVo devices at $41 annually, followed by digital cable boxes at $27. Both devices are always fully on because they constantly receive and download data.

Opting for an LCD (liquid crystal display) TV will cost about $8 to operate annually—for an annual savings of about $42 over the plasma. Of course, weigh your decision against the cost of a new TV.

2. Reduce standby power. They recommend buying a power strip and plugging in all your electronic devices into it so that you can easily shut the power off to all of them.

3. Opt for Energy Star-rated electronics.

4. Invest in rechargeable batteries. I’m not sure they really save money. They do at least reduce the number of batteries that end up in the landfill.

5. Replace bulbs with compact fluorescents. I replaced our floodlights with CFL floodlights in the kitchen. The difference in room temperature was amazing!

Topics: Budgeting | 6 Comments »

6 Responses to “5 Tips for Saving Energy in Your Family Room”

1. Evan Says:
    July 15th, 2010 at 3:10 pm

I got this cool power strip that when I shut off my TV it kills all the devices connected to the strip. Not too sure if it saves anything lol

2. Miles Says:
    July 19th, 2010 at 8:29 pm

Using rechargeable batteries definitely saves money! I haven’t bought batteries in over 4 years.

3. Ken Says:
    July 20th, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Rechargeable batteries absolutely save money. I have rechargeables that I bought 3 years ago for my digital camera, I haven’t had to purchase new batteries since! One quick (overnight while sleeping) charge and they are as good as new. I’ve heard rechargeables have a limit on how many times you can drain and recharge them, but I haven’t found that limit yet. Mine are still going strong.

4. Moneyedup Says:
    July 20th, 2010 at 9:57 pm

Having a power strip that lets you shut down all your devices is a great idea. Leaving things on is easier if they are scattered all over the room, but having a power strip lets you shut off everything at once.

5. Mom2four Says:
    August 11th, 2010 at 12:01 am

Lose the DVR (aka TiVo) for a measly $41/year? Seriously???

It’s so nice to be able to skip commercials, pause the TV and then skip over inappropriate ads on perfectly good shows, or just pause my favorite show in the middle of a big action scene to kiss my kids good night.

Yes, I might like TV a little too much, but I’d say that my DVR is worth a heckuva lot more than $41/year!

6. Combi Boilers · Says:
    November 9th, 2010 at 12:24 pm

just buy high quality power strips and do not use power strips that are not UL certified _

Comments