• Cap loan payments at 10% of adjusted income.
• Forgive remaining balances after 20 years of repayment.
• Provide $2.6 billion for minority serving institutions.
• Appropriate $500 million annually for community colleges
• Provide $750 million for state education grants.
I don’t like the first three suggestions at all. Cap loan payments? Seriously? Forgive balances? Special treatment for minority schools? When I went to a state school in the mid-90s, there were lots of minorities on campus. I can’t imagine why colleges that specifically serve minorities should receive special aid in this day and age. I don’t think we should use taxpayer funds to keep them in existence.
Sadly, except for the community college support, NONE of the above suggestions address the real problem:
College is too expensive in the first place!
We don’t need help affording college, we need college to be cheaper.
How do we do that? Transparency! I see nothing wrong with colleges publishing their financials for all to see. Colleges should be held accountable for their budgets. It shouldn’t just be accepted that college costs will rise annually.