I went through the 50 richest people in the Forbes 400 Richest People in America list and tracked their political donations just to see how they stack up. Here is what I found out:
NOTE: Some political contributions spanned several years. I used the total amounts given and ignored the years in which they were given.
• Of the 50 people I tracked, 26 of them made contributions to both Democrats and Republicans.
• 7 of them only made contributions to Democrats.
• 9 of them only made contributions to Republicans.
• 17 of them gave more to Democrats than Republicans.
• 24 of them gave more to Republicans than Democrats.
• 8 of them showed no contributions at all (Larry Page, Sergey Brin, Jeff Bezos, Forrest Mars, Mark Zuckerberg, Blair Parry-Okeden, Steve Jobs, and Donald Newhouse).
• Total contributions to Republicans totaled $1,874,574.
• Total contributions to Democrats totaled $1,400,936.
• $473,638 more was given to Republicans than to Democrats.
• The largest Republican contributor was Jim Walton at $181,300 (he also gave $4,700 to Democrats).
• The largest Democrat contributor was George Soros at $236,250 (he gave nothing to Republicans).
• The average contribution to Republicans was $37,491.48.
• The average contribution to Democrats was $28,018.72
There was no mention of other political contributions to Libertarians or the Green Party.