Video: The Boot Up Time for My Solid State Drive

By JLP | March 28, 2011

Sorry for the poor quality of this video. I shot it with my BlackBerry. I wanted to show you how quickly the solid state drive is on my new computer.

My 5-year old HP would take 5 minutes to fully boot up so this is refreshing.

Topics: Miscellaneous | 10 Comments »

10 Responses to “Video: The Boot Up Time for My Solid State Drive”

1. BG Says:
    March 28th, 2011 at 9:10 am

Those drives are very nice. I’m gonna wait another year or so, until the $/GB ratio gets better. Which one did you spring for?

March 28th, 2011 at 9:15 am

I went with a Sony Vaio F Series, which was customizable. I pretty much upgraded everything. I went with a 256GB solid state drive. The drive alone was $830. I felt silly paying that much but the speed is worth it. I know they’ll eventually come down in price. I might upgrade to a larger drive later. I would like to be able to store my music on my computer. I would need a 500+ GB hard drive in order to be able to do that.

3. ken Says:
    March 28th, 2011 at 10:38 am

Wow $830, obviously direct from the computer manufacturer. For $500 you could of picked one up from newegg.

4. BG Says:
    March 28th, 2011 at 10:57 am

ken) yeah, but it’s a pain doing it on the side, especially for people who aren’t that computer savvy — buying it pre-bundled and you at least know everything is done right, and the OS is preloaded.

JP) 256GB is pretty massive (for SSDD drives!). Music files are one of those things that don’t need to be on a super-fast SSD drive though. Can you remove the CD-rom and plugin a standard platter drive for extra storage?

March 28th, 2011 at 11:02 am

BG,

I have a 500 GB external hard drive I have dedicated solely to music storage. That works fine. I just wanted to have it on my computer.

6. pksublime Says:
    March 28th, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Actually, a lot of what you’re seeing is just how fast Win7 starts up. My computer at work is about the same speed with a “traditional” drive in it.

That being said, SSDs still do improve boot times and access times.

For anyone that found this article trying to decide to buy one or not, I’d say go ahead and buy one that is large enough for your OS and your commonly used programs. Use a normal secondary drive for less common files, lesser used programs, and any server files you intend to serve (if any).

7. TMS Says:
    March 28th, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Considerably longer than my Macbook Air takes, but still pretty fast.

BTW – I do prefer Windows machines in many cases…just happen to own a Macbook Air because no laptop is as small and light and still runs for hours without charging.

I use Go To My PC when I’m on the road to use my PC laptop back at home when I’m traveling.

March 28th, 2011 at 4:58 pm

TMS wrote:

“Considerably longer than my Macbook Air takes, but still pretty fast.”

I clocked it at 27.7 seconds from off to ready-to-go, including my password login. I can’t imagine it being “considerably longer” than any other computer. What is your definition of “considerably longer?”

9. TMS Says:
    March 28th, 2011 at 5:57 pm

All right, you made me check. 11 seconds. Percentage-wise you’re over 100% more time spent waiting (for what it’s worth). :)

March 28th, 2011 at 9:18 pm

11 seconds…

That’s pretty good. Oh well, I’m still VERY HAPPY with mine.

Comments