If You Get a Call from (206) 496-0957, DON’T ANSWER IT!

By JLP | June 21, 2012

I have had the same cell phone number for a long time. I have always escaped telemarketers calling my cell phone because I am very careful to keep the number private (I don’t put it on forms and such).

Recently, however, things have changed. I have been getting calls various numbers (one of them: (206) 496-0957). It’s my habit not to answer any calls from numbers I don’t recognize but I accidentally answered a call from this number one time. It was for some political survey. Unfortunately, by answering the call, I proved to them that my number was a working number.

The 206 area code is for the Seattle, Washington area.

Beware!

Topics: Miscellaneous | 12 Comments »

12 Responses to “If You Get a Call from (206) 496-0957, DON’T ANSWER IT!”

1. FlyerM Says:
    June 21st, 2012 at 11:20 am

Within the past 3 months I have also been getting weekly robo-calls from both the Seattle and Portland area about political surveys.

A google search of the numbers in question always come up with people complaining of the exact same issue.

This same operation seems to call from multiple numbers. The worst part is getting a robo-call from them at 10pm.

I tried putting my number on the national do not call registry a few days ago. We will see if that reduces the calls.

2. Money Beagle Says:
    June 21st, 2012 at 11:43 am

I typically don’t answer a call if it’s from a number I don’t recognize especially if it’s a non-local area code. Every now and then I do miss an actual call but 90% of the time, there’s never a message.

June 21st, 2012 at 11:48 am

Thanks for the comments, FlyerM and Money Beagle.

I never answer calls from numbers I don’t recognize. I just happened to be holding my phone when a call came in and answered it accidentally. Very annoying.

If someone needs to get in touch with me, they can leave a message and I’ll be happy to call back if I feel it’s necessary.

4. JeffrO Says:
    June 21st, 2012 at 1:16 pm

OMG, how very timely. I too have been getting calls from that # and others (OR, WA, CA, etc.) that I don’t answer. I’ve been concerned that I’ve missed callers, since I have numerous old friends in the Pacific NW. I too googled the # and dismissed it as robo-callers, but thank you for the details. Sorry to hear you answered the call :-)

BTW, if you use and publish only a Google Voice#, you can in turn block calls from certain #’s so that they get the NIS message and think they’ve reached a bad#.

5. Sami Says:
    June 21st, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I also am on the DNC list with our home phone and both our cell phones since the beginning of the DNC list. It doesn’t help at all. In the last month and a half, I have received calls on my cell from 14 different numbers with the caller ID as IND SUR GROUP plus 4 different numbers on my home phone. They have left a couple of messages saying something like “For taking our survey, you will receive a free 2-day cruise to the Bahamas”. What a crock!

If you answer these calls, these people have just verified your number as a working phone and don’t stop calling.

Please do turn in a complaint to the Federal Trade Commission at http://ftc.gov. If the FTC receives enough complaints, possibly they will have to do something about these people.

6. Kevin Says:
    June 21st, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Just hit the key they say to be removed from their list. I believe it was #5.

Worked for me.

7. Jon Says:
    June 21st, 2012 at 1:54 pm

We use google voice, so that is the number we normally give out, which lessens the amount that our cell numbers are out there. If we get spam with google voice just hit the spam button for that number, problem solved :) .

8. Scott Says:
    June 21st, 2012 at 3:19 pm

It is difficult not to answer when its comming into my office phone – and i cant vote as i am not from here!!

9. Rich Says:
    June 21st, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Any number similar to (206) 469-095X will be from these scammers.

10. Riki Says:
    June 21st, 2012 at 8:47 pm

It can’t possibly be a political survey. I am from BC, Canada and I received this call on my home phone. Incidentally I am on the DNC call list in Canada and no, it doesn’t help at all.

11. Jay Says:
    June 24th, 2012 at 6:27 pm

This happened to me Saturday while I was at the movies. My cell number was called, and very few people have my personal number. When I checked, it said it was coming from Washington State. I don’t know anyone in Washington. Glad I didn’t answer.

12. Sam Says:
    June 27th, 2012 at 4:55 pm

I put the number into the Google search box and this was the first item that came up:

The page gives more info about who owns the number, contact info, etc.

BTW, this posting on AFM was number three in the Google results.

Comments